Chapter 41 : A Test For Freedom

H A N N A H

I stared at the woman in shock. "Yes," She said in a bitter tone. "I am the Wolf Maiden, what of it?"

I gasped and in a hushed voice, I whispered, "I'm so sorry. . . The hunters. . . Your parents. . ."

The Wolf Maiden narrowed her eyes. "I don't want or need your pity!" She seethed. "I vowed to never let anyone enter and I don't intend to break it!"

Mellow said in a hushed voice, "We don't mean any harm." She said. "And I'm sorry about Monarch."

"Yeah," Jake said. "I'm sure father only did it to defend himself, no one likes to die."

"Even so!" The Wolf Maiden exclaimed. "He killed Monarch, he was family to me! And my real one was long dead! I will not lose my family once more!"

"No one wants to lose their family!" I reasoned out. "Jake and Mellow doesn't want to lose their family, either. Do you want other people to experience the same pain you have? Do you want them to lose their families? The small animals you or your wolves kill are part of a family, and they can't see them anymore. "

The Wolf Maiden was silenced but did not give up her threatening glare. She just growled. "It's normal for people to die, it's the feaking cycle of life." Jake said. "But taking anothers lives is just. . . Bad! If anything, you're just like those hunters you killed your parents!"

The Wolf Maiden's hands shook and she commanded, "Enough! I will strike a deal, if you shall defeat my daughter I'll set you all free! If you don't. . ." Her eyes flashed. "I'll kill you."

I breathed, my eyes widened visibly. "Who is your daughter?" I asked.

"Mien!" The Wolf Maiden called. "Call my daughter, she will battle with these peasents who call themselves innocent!"

A wolf with silver fur and dazzling amber eyes howled and bounded off. "You will be provided with weapons," The Wolf Maiden said. "But not armour."

After a while, the same wolf came back with a girl riding on it. She had the Wolf Maiden's eyes and skin, but she had bluebell eyes. She wore the same outfit as her mother, except she wore boots and her hair was in a high ponytail.

The girl--the Wolf Maiden's daughter-- dismounted the wolf and hugged her mother. "Who will I be fighting?" She asked.

The Wolf Maiden pointed her finger at us, and her daughter nodded. "Consider it done."

She's confident. I thought.

"Which one of you will fight Eliza?"

So that's her name. . . I thought. Jake and Mellow looked at me, and I sighed. "I will."

Jake placed a hand on my shoulder and I relaxed a bit. Mellow hugged me and wished me luck. Jake said, "You'll do great!"

I gave a shaky breath and stepped forward. The Wolf Maiden gave me a sword, while Elize had a bow and a quiver of arrows.

The Wolf Maiden led us out of the confined area, fenced by trees, and into the flat snow terrain outside. I took the left side while Eliza took the right. "Begin!" The Wolf Maiden shouted.

I was caught by surprise. There wasn't even a count down! Eliza lunged forward and shot three arrows at the same time. I gasped and dodged the two, blocking the third. Eliza kept shooting arrows repeatedly, causing me to fall back. I called my flames and my hands burst with fire. I shot a few but Eliza dodged them all, her eyes were wide though, meaning she did not expect it.

I continued shooting until Eliza grew tired. She fished an arrow out of her quiver and when a ball of flames came hurling towards her, she side stepped, but the arrow caught on fire.