9. I Saw Silver Glow

Zach?

Someone grabbed my shoulder and I turned. It was Sydney. He was crying.

"Who let you in here?!" a doctor inquired angrily.

...Zach was gone...

He advanced towards us but Sydney grabbed him by the collar and lifted him up,
"Why didn't you save him?!!"

The doctor shivered and struggled to be released, the other doctors and nurses didn't dare approach.
I wouldn't blame them, Sydney looked murderous even though he was in tears.

...Zach was gone...

He shook the frightened doctor who was still dangling from his hands.

"Answer me!!!!" he boomed. Bad idea to not answer Sydney's questions when he's already pissed.

"N-now l-l-look sir, we d-did our b-b-best" he stammered.

This seemed to just annoy Sydney the more,"Your best wasn't enough! My cousin... His brother..." he pointed at me while lifting the man with one hand "....is d-d-dead. And you fucking tell me you did your best?!!"

I tuned out the rest of the conversation and slowly made my way to Zach.....No, Zach's body..... His corpse.
I placed my hand on his forehead and it was so cold...so lifeless.
He was always full of life, always adventurous and curious — just like me.

I taught him how to kick a ball...

How to ride a bike...

Even some cheesy pick up lines for the ladies.....

I pushed some of his dark hair away from his pale forehead

"Zach?" I called him

He didn't answer.

Why didn't he answer and make this nightmare end?

"Zach? It's Zion...Zion Lion?"
I chuckled at the stupid nickname he'd given me when we were younger, but he still didn't answer,

...Didn't make fun of me for using the nickname...

"DAMN IT ZACH WAKE UP!!" I yelled. But I guess death takes your hearing away too.
I put my head on his chest and cried like a child.

Zach was gone.

I couldn't hear his heartbeat.This was real.
I heard my Mom screaming and crying and my heart broke for her. My Dad placed a hand on my shoulder and squeezed it.
I didn't know when they entered the room. I picked my head up from Zach's chest and looked at him; silent tears were rolling down his face.

Somehow, Sydney hadn't killed the doctor and was instead punching the wall and cursing in Italian

"It's alright Zion." he said

I looked back at Zach, somehow still wishing that he would open his brilliant green eyes and give us all a goofy smile. But I had to accept it.

Dad was wrong. It wasn't alright.

I felt guilty,I should've paid attention to him all those weeks instead of stressing over Nerd witch,  Sydney and I should've been at home when this happened , instead we went to look for Nerd witch.

Rachel and the girls were right, I was no longer paying attention to the necessary things/people in my life, and now I'd lost one of the most important ones.

I remembered all the nights I'd come home late after a day as Nerd witch's punching bag, he was always staying up late for me in my room so we could hang out, but then I'd burst his bubble and tell him I fell.