14. Girl Power

I had successfully avoided Sydney and Zach on my way upstairs.
Quickly, I grabbed a bag and stuffed my basketball gear inside. The team was having a meeting at Nancy's diner and I couldn't have asked for better timing.

There was a soft knock on the door and I chose to ignore it, working faster to make my escape.

"Zion?"

Oh god no! I don't want to face Zach right now. Maybe if I ignore him he'll go away.

"Zion? I saw you go in," he said again.

I zipped up the bag and ignored him.

"Zion why are you avoiding me?"

I checked the possibility of jumping out the window.

"Mom and Dad keep babying me, Sydney keeps bugging me and you're avoiding me,"

Was that a sniffle I heard?
Nah! Ignore it. Ignore him.

"I need my big brother"

Okay that was definitely a sob I heard.

Just talk to him you asshole!

It's not that easy Mr high and mighty subconscious

What? Just open the door and talk to your crying little brother! He needs you!

Yeah, No shit Sherlock

I sucked in a breath and opened the door. Zach was sitting on the floor with his knees drawn to his chest. He looked up and my heart broke when his tear filled eyes met mine.

"Zion?" he sniffled

"Hey kiddo, I gotta go for basketball practice" I showed him the bag filled with my basketball gear.

"Are you avoiding me? Did I make you mad? Was it cos I entered your bathroom that day without knocking?" he asked

God this wasn't easy at all.

"Look, I'm not avoiding you, I've just been really busy"

"Busy falling?" he asked and I chuckled "I'm sorry I didn't knock that day. Will you stop being mad at me?" his green eyes pleaded with me.

Oh god he's so precious. How exactly do I tell him I'm doing this because the same nerd who bruises me brought him back to life?
He got to his feet and hugged my torso

"Zion please!" he cried into my shirt "Please I'm sorry. Stop avoiding me!"

C'mon asshole! Say something! I'm bawling my eyes out over here.

What?! You don't even have eyes!

Just stop being cold to your little brother, he's beating himself up.

Fine

Atta boy

I awkwardly patted Zach's back "Hey kiddo, It's okay, I'm not mad at you"

He sniffled again "Do you forgive me?" he asked

"Zach, you never wronged me," I sighed and hugged him back "I'm sorry for avoiding you. I was being a douche"

"Yeah, a real asshole" he mumbled

"Who teaches you all those words!" I exclaimed

"My big brother," he smiled

"Pfft! What?! I do not!"

"Whatever douche" he winked and ran off

"Lil rascal"