17. Lies, Lies And A Library

I woke up the next day to—surprise surprise? Hell nah—an empty bed and a ginormous headache.
And just to prove how much the universe loved me, someone began pounding on my bedroom door like a maniac.

"I'm coming!" I grumbled, stumbling out of bed and tangling myself in the sheets. I was still dressed in my cloths from last night—down to the very blood and vomit stained sneakers.
The headache disappeared instantly and panic began creeping into my head.
I plucked the sneakers off my feet and chucked them under my pillows.

Great idea! No one would ever find it there.

Oh, zip it.

"Cuz? I'm coming in!" came the voice of the annoying knocker.
Sydney burst into my room and grinned at me.

I groaned and collapsed on my bed, allowing the headache to seep back in,"What do you want, Sydney?"

He swaggered over to me until he stopped at the edge of the bed and looked down at me, his grey eyes looked amused.
"I was going to tell you that you're terribly late for school,"

"Ugghh!" I groaned and rubbed my throbbing temples. Damn hangovers.

"But then," my crazy cousin continued, "we  could actually spend the day having some quality cousin time"

I stopped massaging my temples and frowned at him. No way was I spending time with a murderer. "I dig the idea of skipping school, Sydney, but —"

"Would you rather I help you make a list on how to steal a kiss from a particular hot nerd?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

I scowled at him.
No one should call her 'hot' —although she was hot, but, I felt like Nerd witch should be mine to admire. I actually discovered her 'hotness' first.

Jealous hmm? Curious, very curious.

Shut up, subconscious!

"Sydney, I have a horrible headache and I need time to rest,"

Lies! I needed someone to talk to about what happened last night. The club, the rooster guy, the gunfire, Nerd witch slaughtering them all like a skilled butcher, and above all, our moment in my room. I remembered all.
But, I still couldn't be comfortable around Sydney.
Which was quite funny, considering that I had just witnessed Nerd witch plowing through bullets and trained killers built like bears, like a highly trained vampire assassin, and yet, slept in her arms —comfortably.
Then there was also the slight problem of Nerd witch not being too happy with me divulging her secret activities—and I still loved my balls right where they were, Thank you very much!

Sydney's shoulders drooped in disappointment, "Oh?...er... I guess I'll hang with Zach when his tutor leaves,"
He turned and headed towards the door.

For a very brief moment, I felt guilt gnawing at my bad boy heart, but the guilt was dispelled all too soon when Sydney spun around like a soldier, with a serious look on his face.

"I smell blood,"

I felt my heart rate pick up.
Shit! Mafia skills! Totally forgot about that.
He must've spent so much time around blood, that he could make out the smell anywhere.
My eyes flickered to the pillows and back to Sydney's face.
He must've caught my eye movement, because he was currently staring at the pillow pile under which I'd hidden my blood-vomit sneakers.
Fucking mafia perceptiveness!

"It's nothing, Cuz,"

He tightened his jaw and nodded uncertainly, then left the room.

I released a breath, and as if on cue, a dull ache pounded behind my eyes and spread throughout my skull.
I fucking hate hangovers.
I slumped back into the soft embrace of my bed and the scattered, tangled sheets.
Her lovely scent still lingered in the sheets. She had actually been here! Nerd witch had actually been in my room!
If I wasn't so ecstatic, I would've asked more important questions like,