Chapter 13: Playing for my best friend III

NOTE: I just want to address this now. I did say some chapters would be long while some short, but I didn't realize some were under 1000 words. I'm sorry! I'm trying to publish 1500-2000 per chapter, but I do want to leave you guys with suspense or a satisfying ending so sometimes it might be shorter or longer. Just a heads up! I love all of the comments and votes and I'm grateful to have reached 1000+ reads and 100+ votes. Thank you all!

~ Shuichi's POV~

     When Kaede and I heard the announcement, we headed our separate ways. Lights were only shining on the golden stage, but the crystal chandeliers emitted their own natural glow. The theatre was beautiful, but intimidating and professional which made me wonder what Kaede's life was like as a child. Having to step on a stage like that in a theatre like this since you were 8... As I walked hrough the rows of crimson red chairs to look for everyone I saw that they were sitting at the very front. Eesh, way to reduce Kaede's stress... I sat next to Kaito at the end. Kokichi was playing games on his phone. After a few minutes, the competition started. The first contestant was a young girl, around our age. We were all amazed by her skill as she played the piano. "These kids really don't joke around," Miu said. It felt more like a show or a concert than a competition.

     The second and third contestant were boys who played equally as well as the girl. Then we heard her name, "Kaede Akamatsu." Tenko, Mikan, and Miu start cheering her name and I could feel the grumpy stares coming from parents and adults behind us. "Yeah, Kaede!"

     "You go Kaede!" Once she appeared on stage with her black-laced dress, all noise died down except the sound of her heels as she slowly walked on stage. She bowed to the audience before heading to the piano.  She looks so mature.

     "You got it, Kaede..." I whispered and as if she heard me, she turned looking directly at me and smiling. I blushed a little, but shook my head. She was looking at all of us, what am I thinking? Then, she started playing. The song sounds so familiar... Oh, it's the song she played when I was at her house! Yet, it's better, stronger, and louder. It could be because of the speakers and this gigantic space, but I felt it emotionally. Like she was playing this song for us... I was entranced in her melody. She really does have a beautiful expression when she plays. I didn't realize that I was grinning from ear to ear. I looked to my side and saw everyone was completely wide-eyed. To say she is amazing is an understatement. When I looked at my friend, my heart felt warm, just like when we were on the ferris wheel.

     The song soon came to an end. As we started clapping, Kaito stood up, then Miu, and everyone else. I turned around and was shocked to see the entire audience standing up. I stood up and looked back at Kaede. She didn't look surprised at all; she just had a genuine smile on her face. She bowed and left. After her, 11 more pianists played. There were two girls and one guy out of the 11 that really made a stunning performance. I had to keep waking up Kokichi who was clearly bored with the rest of the performance. He didn't pull out the snacks he brought even when Kaito whined about being hungry.What's the point of bringing it? Once it ended, all of us immediately stood up and ran out of the theatre. We had to see Kaede immediately.

     It was clear that we were too late when we saw a crowd of people cover the backstage door. I pushed through them and saw four people including Kaede. They were the top four best performers. Everyone was handing them flowers and cards; it was unbelievable sight. Kaede made eye contact with me and excused herself as she pushed past everyone. "Kaede, you were amazing!"

     "Kaede, that was really cool."

     "You really are a goddess of the piano." All of us gave her our praises.