Chapter 45: The Piano Competition I

"We're finally here." I took a deep breath and looked in the mirror. Ms. Aiko tightened the ribbon on the dress and smiled.

"Of course we are, Kaede. You worked hard for this, and I know you'll win it." I smiled at her. Ms. Aiko chose an elegant strapless pink dress for me and the last finishing touch is the hairpin my mother gave me.

"She's watching me, Ms. Aiko." She smiled at me.

"Yes, she is, Kaede. Make her proud." We held each other for a short moment. "There are a lot of representatives this year, so I'm gonna go talk to them for you."

"You're the best." She winked and exited the changing room. As soon as she left, I checked my phone for new messages, but no one had replied. The last message I got was from Shuichi who said that they were leaving in an hour, so they should be here by now. Don't message him, Kaede. You look like a nervous wreck! Of course, they are coming so just focus on the competition. I took a deep breath and put my phone down. As soon as it touched the table, a buzzing sound made me jump. "H-hey, Shuichi!"

"Hey, Kaede, how are you feeling?" I bit my lip and relaxed my breathing again.

"Good! You know I don't really get nervous for competitions."

"Because you're amazing, right?" I blushed heavily and giggled softly. "D-did I say something wrong? I-I meant because you've practiced so much and you have a lot of experience and-"

"Thank you, Shuichi. Are you guys almost here?" I received no answer for the first minute. "Shuichi?"

"Sorry, Kaede, we're going to be a little late..." My chest felt heavy, but I shook off the negative emotions.

"That's okay! I'll be performing towards the end anyways. I'll see you guys later. Bye!" I hung up before Shuichi could reply and slammed my phone onto the table. They'll make it, don't worry, Kaede! I slapped my cheeks softly and turned to walk backstage. Once my eyes reached the door, my body froze. She was leaning against the wall in her tight black dress that adorned her intimidating glare. I smiled softly and tried to quickly walk past her. "Kaede Akamatsu." I felt a shiver up my spine.

"H-hi, Junko." I quickly turned back around to walk out the door, but my foot hit something and I felt my body fall to the ground. She started laughing immediately as others turned towards our direction.

I rolled my eyes and got up immediately to fix myself. "Was that really necessary?" I asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe learn how to wear heels."

"Junko, what's your issue with me?"

"Isn't it obvious? You're unbearable."

"What have I ever done to you?" Her snarky smirk turned into a terrifying glare.

"What have you done to me? Once again, the innocent girl pretends to play dumb." I looked at her confused.

"I'm really not. I'm sorry if I ever hurt you -"

"Shut up! Quit the nice act, Kaede. You took it away."

"Took what away?"

"The competition? Don't act like you forgot!" She got off of the wall and took a step towards me. "You took away the moment I was supposed to make my mother proud. I was supposed to win that piano competition!"

"Junko... You were six years old. It isn't fair for you to beat yourself up over that! That's one competition out of the hundreds that you've won." She had a look of surprise over her face, but it immediately returned to disgust.

"I don't care about the other competitions! I had to win that one! That was the last competition my mother watched before she-!" She stopped herself and looked away. Junko's mother died a few days after The National Piano Competition. Ever since then, Junko dedicated herself to winning every piano competition she was qualified for.

"I'm so sorry, Junko... But just because you didn't win that specific one doesn't mean that your mother wasn't proud of you. I'm sure she's watching from up there at her daughter that's worked so hard-"

"Shut up! Do not speak for her. You'll never understand how I feel!"

"My parents died right before my competition! I may be the only person who can at least relate to you!" She froze again, but her fearful glare was still piercing my soul.

"Maybe, you're right, Kaede." I smiled softly. "She'll be proud of what I'm going to do today."

"Yes, she will. You worked hard, Junko." She gave me a smile, yet I still felt a fearful atmosphere surrounding her.

"And now we have, Junko Enoshima..." She took a deep breath and walked right past me. I watched as she took each step towards the stage. She paused and turned to look at me.

"Say hello to your parents for me."