Chapter 23: Losing my best friend? II

~ Kaede's POV ~

Shuichi never showed up at my house Monday morning and I didn't see him in biology class. I didn't think too much about it, but I did message him to see if he was alright. Rantaro and I presented our cake in math. Everyone loved it sending us complements on the taste and the design. When we sat down, Rantaro and I high-fived. "Hey, Kaede. Do you want to go out to eat to celebrate?"

"Like the two of us together?" He blushed and shook his head.

"No! I was thinking of inviting Aimi and Yuki as well..." I smiled softly, but Shuichi appeared in my head before I could answer.

"Can I get to you later?" His smile faded softly, but he nodded. We watched the rest of the projects in silence. I wonder if Shuichi is sick... or busy.

As I headed towards my locker, I spotted Shuichi. A wave of relief washed over me. "Shuichi!" I ran towards him, but halted when I saw a girl in front of him.

"Oh, hey, Kaede." I smiled at him, then looked at the girl. I don't recognize her.

"Shuichi, you haven't told me about your new friend!"

"This is Tsumugi. She's a childhood friend of mine." I turned to her. She had long dark blue hair, wore glasses, and has a slim body. I ended up feeling a little self-conscious for some reason.

"Oh, nice to meet you! I'm Kaede!"

"Same here..." she said shyly. Even her voice was cute. 

"Do you both want to go down to the cafeteria?"

     "Oh, Tsumugi and I already went, but I saw Maki heading down." I frowned slightly, but quickly hid it so they wouldn't see. We always go down together...

"Is that why you couldn't pick me up this morning?" A guilty expression flashed on his face, but before he could answer, Tsumugi grabbed his arm and pulled him close to her.

"Shuichi! I thought we were supposed to meet your group of friends!" He turned to her and nodded.

"Yeah, we will." He turned to me mouthing 'sorry', but I shook my head with a fake smile.

"You go. I'll see you later then!"

I walked past them quickly heading downstairs. My heart wouldn't stop racing, but as soon as I reached the bottom floor, I steadied my breathing. I soon spotted Maki waiting in line. "Maki!" She turned and smiled at me.

    "Hey, Kaede." I caught up to her and we hugged. She turned to look behind me. "Where's Shuichi?"

     "Hmm? Why does that matter?" I asked pretending as if nothing happened.

     "You both usually come down together. Did you both fight?"

     "Wha- we aren't a couple or something! He just went down already..." Maki and I ordered our food then headed up to our hangout spot. Everyone was there besides Shuichi.

     "Hey, Kaede and Maki. Have you guys seen Shuichi?" We shook our heads and sat down next to them. I thought he was introducing them to Tsumugi... Where did he go? Questions of confusion and jealousy washed over me.

  "Hey, look at that." Kaito pointed at the end of the hall where Shuichi was talking to Tsumugi. "Ahh, looks like someone stole your mans, Kaede," he said snickering.

     "How many times do I have to tell you guys?! We aren't dating!" Everyone looked a little taken aback at my sudden outburst. I sat back down fixing myself a little embarrassed.