Chapter 25: Losing my best friend? IV

That entire week, Shuichi and I hadn't uttered a word to each other. Whenever we met eye contact in the hallway, we would look away immediately. Even in biology class, we sat at opposite ends of the room. I wasn't sure when or why we stopped talking to each other, but neither of us tried to approach the other. When all of us hung out at the tables, Shuichi sat opposite of me right next to Tsumugi. Everytime she leaned her head against his shoulder or wrapped her arms around his, my heart ached. I tried to read a book or focus on my homework during my breaks, but he kept appearing in my head. Shuichi... How could you act like we never knew each other?

Rantaro brought me to school in place of Shuichi. He's been kind to me the entire week. "Morning, Kaede." I smiled at him softly.

"Good morning."

"I heard Ms. Shiho is having us watch a movie."

"She's been in a good mood lately."

"You haven't heard? She got a new boyfriend."

"How do you know that?"

"How do you not?" We both laughed. "I'm gonna stop by my sisters' classes. They forgot their lunch." I nodded and walked into the school building before he did. I was looking down at my phone as I headed for my locker. All of a sudden, I felt my head collide into a hard object. As I slowly opened my eyes, a tall figure appeared in front of me. "I'm sorry! Are you okay?"

"It's not your fault." He extended his hand, and I saw a glimpse of black hair. Shuichi? I looked up at his face, but it was a different boy. A pang of disappointment hit me as the first day we met played in my head.

When lunch came, Miu and Maki were at the cafeteria. "Hey, Kaede." I waved at them. "How have you been?"

"Good, you guys?" They turned to each other in disbelief. "What?"

"We aren't blind, Kaede," Miu said sympathetically.

"What happened to you and Shuichi?" Maki asked. I sighed and looked around.

"Hey, did you hear about the brownie deal? Buy one, get one free!" I quickly ran and grabbed two brownies. When I looked down at it, I frowned. Shuichi and I always came down to the cafeteria together. We sealed our friendship bond with these brownies... My heart ached and I bit my lip to keep myself from tearing up. I felt two hands on my shoulders.

"Let's go upstairs, Kaede." I nodded and we headed towards the tables.

Once, we reached the third floor, I stopped in my tracks. "Hey, I have to drop something off at my locker." They nodded and took my lunch. As I walked down the hallway, I saw Shuichi. I immediately turned my head, but he took my wrist.

"Kaede." This was the first time he called out my name in such a long time. I bit my lip refusing to turn towards him. "I-"

"Don't worry, I know," I interrupted.

"You do?"

"Yeah, I hope you two are happy." I gave him a fake smile. He seemed confused, but then frowned and let go of my hand.

"Same to you and Rantaro." He walked away before I could tell him that we weren't dating, but I couldn't think of a reason why. It's better that he thinks that.

"Hey, Kaede." I looked up and saw Rantaro.

"Hey, how are you?"

"I mean it's school, but I'm holding up." I giggled softly. "How about you?"

"I... I'm good." He looked at me in disbelief.

"Kaede, you can tell me the truth." I looked down at my feet trying to keep my composure.

"It's fine. If he's happy, then I'm happy. They deserve each other." My voice trembled at the last couple of words. I wiped my eyes quickly. I can't cry in front of everyone. I was surprised when I felt his arms wrap around me.

"Let it out... No one will see." His comforting words helped me relax in his arms and the world around us disappeared. I let out quiet sobs as my tears soaked his shirt.

~ Rantaro's POV ~

It was a horrible thought, but I was jealous at how much Shuichi affected Kaede. I'm just glad that we are still friends. I'll protect you, Kaede, even if I can't be your boyfriend. That means I have to do this... Once the bell rang and everyone cleared the hallways, I let go of her. "Kaede, I can't bring you home today." She wiped her eyes and looked at me confused, but she didn't ask.

"Alright, I've got some change to take the bus. Thank you for all of this. Comforting me for the past few days and bringing me to school." I nodded and pet her head softly before waving her goodbye as she left for her next class. I saw her friends, Miu and Maki, and immediately called for them.

"Hey, Rantaro, what's up?"

"I need your help. I... I can't believe I'm going to say this..." I murmured that last part to myself. "I'm going to get Kaede and Shuichi together." Their eyes widened, but a smile appeared on their faces.

"Say no more. Let us know what we need to do." We discussed the details quickly. To start, we wrote a note for Shuichi to meet someone at the courtyard after school. Miu quickly dropped it off at his locker before she entered her class.

After school I saw Shuichi leaning against a tree in the courtyard. "Thanks for coming," I said. He looked up at me and I could tell he wasn't happy.

"Rantaro, if you're here to tell me about you and Kaede, I already know." I smirked.

"I think you'll want to hear this out. Yes, I did ask her out." I saw his fists clench causing me to grit my teeth. "But, why are you angry? Aren't you dating that Tsumugi chick?" He gave me a confused expression.

"What? No, we're just friends." I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck. I knew it. "Why does that matter?" He looked down at the ground. "I saw you two kiss in the piano room..." My eyes widened.

"Well you saw wrong. I asked Kaede out, but she rejected me." He looked surprised, but relieved.

"Why?" he asked.

"That's something you should ask her. All I can say is that I still like Kaede, but I know I'm not right for her. That doesn't mean I'm not friends with her, but I know you like her, Shuichi. She likes you, too." He was going to say something, but I took a step towards him. "You've hurt her a lot these past few days. You'd be a dumbass if you don't go for her now." Shuichi didn't respond and had a guilty look in his face. After a few seconds, it turned into confidence and he nodded his head.

"Shuichi! This is where you've been." We both turned to see Tsumugi standing there. I rolled my eyes. This girl is everywhere. I made a whistle noise and Maki and Miu appeared behind Tsumugi.

"There you are! We've been looking to go shopping!" They dragged the surprised blue-haired girl before she could protest. I turned to Shuichi.

"You know what to do. She's at the bus stop." He nodded and turned to chase after Kaede. Shuichi, you better not make me regret doing this.

I saw Tsumugi trying to free herself from Miu and Maki. I walked up to her and smiled softly. "Whatever you're doing, you're gonna lose."

Kaede... I want you to be happy, even if I'm not the reason why.

Uploads every Monday, Wednesday, Friday.