30. STATE OF MIND

Vaishnavi and Sid went to their respective rooms to rest and get ready. But this time, rather than focusing on how to avoid being suspected by Vacy they were determined to win the competition.

After an hour of preparation and last minute practice, both got ready.
The competition was held in the uni's grand hall which was the building adjacent to the uni.

All the students assembled in the foyer of the uni.
The professor arrived and took her place at the podium.

"Dear students,
It's amazing how on such short notice you all are ready to perform. I wish you all good luck. Do your best."

All the students applauded.
Then she spoke,
"I request you all to find and stay in your allocated groups."

Sid and Vaishnavi stood at the corner of the foyer. But no sign of Vacy.
"Where is Vacy?" Sid asked.
"Even I can't see him." Vaishnavi replied.

After a while the professor started calling out the group names. Sid, Vaishnavi and Vacy's group was number 9.

●   ●   ●

Vacy knew that he was late. Very late. He didn't even wear his shoes properly, took his violin and rushed to the foyer.

"How could I loose track of time?" He mumbled to himself, while coming down the staircase.

From the balcony of the first floor, he could see only 6 more groups left. He feared that Vaishnavi and Sid had already performed without him.
When he reached down, he frantically looked for Vaishnavi and Sid. Luckily he saw them.

"Hey Vacy! What happened?" Sid asked.
"When are we going to perform?" Vacy asked without hearing Vaishnavi's question.
"Uh.....after 2 groups. What happened? How come you are late today?"
"Oh nothing. I was just finishing the last code and forgot -" He blurted. He realised he made a big mistake.
"Forget what?Hint?" Sid asked.
"Oh nothing. I am a little distracted. Give me 5 minutes." Vacy sat down on the row of seats behind the group to tie his shoes.

Sid and Vaishnavi stared at each other as they were confused in what is going to happen and what had happened.

The silence was interrupted by Bella's call.
"I forgot to wish you, All the very best!!"
"Thanks Bella." Vaishnavi said.
"Bella, Vacy accidentally told us the truth. Last code? What I remember we finished the 3rd code." Sid said.
"What happend, Bella? We both are very confused." Vaishnavi questioned.

Bella sighed. She explained Sid and Vaishnavi about the 4th code.
"I am sorry we lied to you two. We didn't want you both to worry when you play the trio. And ever since we decoded the 4th code we haven't received the last code." Bella said.
"I guess you won't get the code in the next 2 hours, Bella." Sid said.
"Why?"
"The reason why is, Vacy forgot to send the last code to Brett and Eddy."