Chapter 17

I wake up with a start and check my phone for the time. Urgh! It's 5:00am! Why did I wake up so early? I internally groan as I massage my temples. Shit! It's so early to have a headache.

Oh My Cakes! I knew there was a reason I woke early! I was asked to prepare  breakfast if I wanted to be given a tour! With that thought, I change out of my nightie and put on a short and a big tee shirt.

I run downstairs with my phone and dagger and frantically search through the kitchen in silence so as not to wake anybody up.

There's turkey, some vegetables, pasta, potatoes. I can make French fries with gravy sauce and I love desserts after every meal so I'll make some pudding and brownies for dessert. Isn't that too much? I groan as I rub my temples again. Why do I have such bad migraine? And so early in the morning?

Well, that is not going to dampen my spirit. I use my phone to Google how to make French fries, pudding and brownies! And also how to make latte.

An hour later, the house begins to smell of delicious food as my brows furrow and my tongue stick out in utter concentration.

"Good morning Jem", Jay says eyeing my sweaty body and the potatoes frying in the pan.

I barely respond as I move to remove the brownie from the oven. Jay comes closer and makes to take a piece of brownie but with my quick thinking, I grab my dagger and nearly hit him on the hand with it and he flinches from the near contact of the dagger on his skin.

"What was that for?", he asks shocked that I'll actually slice his hand with my dagger.

"I know you have  a ravenous appetite but do me a favour and go wake Dimitri and Anita", I say sweetly, damping the sweat away from my forehead with my face towel.

"No need we're here!", Dimitri announces as he and Anita enters the kitchen.

"Good! Now everybody have a latte!", I say handing them each a cup of latte.

"Wow! You're cooking? How long have you been up?", Anita says yawning as she drinks her latte and sits on Dimitri's lap.

"Since five", I say, putting the pudding in the warmer.

"Omg! This is actually nice! How did you know how to prepare a latte?", Dimitri asks drinking more.

I simply point at my phone on the counter and re focus on my brownie.

"Ooo brownies", Anita and Dimitri chorused making a move on the brownies.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you!", Jay says barely looking up and sipping his latte

"Why?", they chorus again as they actually move to take a piece and I quickly take my dagger and swipe their hands away from my brownie.

"Yikes Jem", Dimitri gasps, looking at me in shock.

"Told ya!", Jay says laughing as Anita smacks his head.

"Why do you have your dagger with you in the kitchen?" Anita screams agitated.

"That's what I used to give the brownie it's shape and also slice the potatoes", I state setting the table.

"But there's a knife in the cupboard!" Anita exclaims, face palming.

I only shrug as they all seat down to eat with Anita doing the prayers.

"Omg! This is actually nice!", Anita exclaims.

"It sure is", Dimitri says.

I look at Jay and his face is stoic, blank, devoid of any emotions, making it hard for me to read any thing. I raise my eyebrow waiting for a praise or a critique.