Chapter 9

"Kendrick I can explain", she said.

"I'm waiting", he said.

"I just do this to get through school, help my dad and me", she said. "My dad took it pretty bad after my mom past. I have to help him"

"... but you lied", he said.

"I wanted to tell you so many times Kendrick but I was scared", she said.

"Of what?", he asked.

"That you'd think of me differently", she said.

"Listen... I get it I understand why you kept it a secret. I guess I'm more so just mad that you're doing it... letting other men see my girlfriend's body", he said.

Diamond looks down.

"When do you plan on stopping?", he asked.

"Whenever I graduate", she said.

Kendrick shakes his head. "I don't know about that Diamond. That's too long for me", he said.

"Well this is the only thing getting things done", she said.

"..,I can help", he said.

"No you can't Kendrick", she said.

"Yes I can. I can get actual job instead of my work study. I can help. You just need a regular job", he said.

"It won't work. Kendrick I gotta do what I gotta do. Besides I'm late", she said as she walked away.

"Either you put a two weeks notice in for them or it's done for us. It's your choice", he said.

Diamond paused.

"I can't let the whole city see a body that's mine", he said.

Diamond looks down for a couple seconds and continues to walk in the building as she lifts her head up.

Kendrick got in the car and drove off.

——————————

"You know what I don't even feel bad about cheating no more", Kendrick said as he tossed his keys on his desk.

Dante turned away from his laptop. "What happened?", Dante asked.

"Let's just say she been lying to me all this time", Kendrick said.

"She been talking to somebody else?", he asked.

"No... about her job. Can't really give you the details", Kendrick said.

"Mmm.. so you back on the market?", Dante asked.

"We'll see in two weeks or I don't know maybe less", he said.

"Damn what job is it that got you tense bro?", Dante asked.

"Can't say", he said.

———————————

A few days later and Diamond and Kendrick still haven't talked. It's currently the basketball game.

The referee blows his whistles and calls a foul on Kendrick.

"What ?? I didn't even touch him!", Kendrick shouted.

Diamond watched Kendrick. He's been having a bad game all night. The team was still winning though.

Another player takes Kendrick's spot and Kendrick walks to the bench.

After the other team makes their free throws. The buzzard goes off and it's after the second quarter. The dancer and the cheerleader go on the court as the players walk to the locker room.