Chapter 76

After Diamond took care of Alyssa's needs, she walked back into the living room and it was quiet.

"So, you guys aren't going to talk?", Diamond asked.

"We did", Kendrick said.

"I was only gone for like 5 minutes", Diamond said.

"And we said a sentence or two", Brian said.

Diamond shook her head.

"When does Ayanna get out of school?", Brian asked.

"2:40", Diamond replied.

Brian looked at his phone for the time. "2 more hours", he said to himself.

Kendrick got up and walked toward the kitchen as he looked at Diamond. She could tell he was mad so she stopped looking at him. Kendrick walked into the kitchen and Brian began talking.

"I'll be back when Ayanna gets home", Brian said as he got up.

"Okay", diamond replied.

Brian walked out and shut the door behind him.

Diamond walked into the kitchen with Kendrick. He was sitting at the table on his phone.

"You know you didn't have to lie to me", he said. "You could've just told me he was here"

"What?", Diamond asked.

"You lied about Alyssa crying because you called Vanessa", Kendrick said.

"How do you know that I called Vanessa?", Diamond asked.

"Don't worry about it. Just know that you lied to me which makes me even wonder what y'all were in here doing", he said.

"Are you accusing me of cheating?", Diamond asked. "Kendrick he wasn't even over here when I was on the phone with you"

"Don't lie to me diamond", Kendrick said.

"I'm not!", Diamond shouted.

Kendrick was quiet.

"How about we just go out to dinner tonight and talk about this like adults", she said.

"Nah. I'm good", Kendrick said.

"...I thought you wanted to go?", Diamond asked.

"I did but I don't know anymore Diamond", he said as he got up.

Diamond made a face.

"I'm about to head to head back to the hospital", he said.

"Kendrick I promise i didn't do anything", Diamond said softly.

"I heard you. See you later", he said as he walked out the kitchen.

Diamond looked down and sat down.

A couple minutes later, Diamond called Vanessa back.

"Yes ma'am?", Vanessa answered.

"Vanessa I think I just fucked up. I mean not really because I didn't do anything but... Kendrick thinks otherwise", she said.

"What happened?", Vanessa asked.

"Brian came and then Kendrick walked in while Brian was wiping my tears-"

Vanessa cut her off. "Tears? Why were you crying?", Vanessa asked.

"Because...Brian might have brain cancer", she said.

"Oh...damn", Vanessa said.

"Yea but anyways... Kendrick thinks that I rushed him off the phone this morning and was acting weird because Brian was over here, which he wasn't", Diamond said.

"Did you tell him that?", Vanessa asked.

"Yea. But I don't think he believes me", Diamond said. "...he asked me out to dinner tonight... I think he was going to propose but not he doesn't even wanna go"

"Yea that's a bad thing", Vanessa mumbled.

"What?", Diamond asked.

"Nothing", Vanessa replied. "Listen, he'll get over it"

"I don't know Vanessa. Kendrick is ... well every time I take Brian's side or believe something he says, Kendrick feels some type of way", Diamond said.

"I mean... Brian is your ex husband", Vanessa said. "But I feel like this time is a good reason. I don't think even he would lie about something that serious"

"...same", Diamond replied. "...but how did Kendrick know I called you this morning?"

"Oh he called me before you did. He wanted to know if something was up with you", Vanessa said.

"Of course", Diamond said. "Well if he calls you again.. back me up"

"As always", Vanessa said.

Diamond smiled a little then stopped. "...it's so much going on right now Vanessa", she said. "And I don't even know what to do about any of it...like I'm calm right now when I shouldn't be"

"Those antidepressants", Vanessa said.

"I stopped taking them", Diamond said.

"What? Why?", Vanessa asked.

"Because I wanted to", Diamond said. "I didn't like the way I felt"

"Diamond really?", Vanessa asked.

"Yes really", Diamond replied. "But I need to cook lunch for Ayanna before she gets home while I got the chance"

"Alright but you need to start taking those pills again", Vanessa said.

"I'll see about it", Diamond said. "Talk to you later"

"Mhm. Bye", Vanessa said.

"Bye", Diamond said before she hung up.

——————————————————

While Kendrick was at work he walked past Payton and she spoke to him.

"Hey", she said.

"Hey", he said as he stopped.

Payton was surprised he stopped. He usually just says hey and keeps moving.

"You got the stats on that patient yet?", he asked.

"I'm about to do that now", she replied.

Kendrick nods. "Cool... um ... okay", he said.

Payton smiled as she made a face. "You okay?", she asked.

"Yea I'm fine", he said with smile. "I just... never mind. Go ahead and get the vital signs"

"Okay", she said. "See you later"

"See you later", kendrick said before he walked away.

Payton smirked a little as she watched him walk away and then she walked in the other direction.

Kendrick sighs as he walks down the hall. Every part of him wanted to believe diamond but something kept telling him not to.

TO BE CONTINUED....