Chapter 40

The next day Diamond was at work and the weren't very busy. 

Diamond is currently on the phone with Ayanna checking up on her. 

"And how is my beautiful baby doing?", she asked.

"good", Ayanna replied. "Nessa got me a dollhouse'

"wow that's cool", Diamond said.

Kendrick walked up but Diamond didn't see him because he was behind her.

"When you get home, maybe we can play dolls together", Diamond said with a smile.

"I don't wanna come home", Ayanna said.

Diamond suddenly felt sad. "why not sweetie?" Diamond asked.

"Because", Ayanna said.

Diamond begins to whisper. "baby if this is about daddy, he didn't hurt me okay?"

Ayanna was quiet.

"How about you stay with Vanessa for one more extra week and then come home okay?", Diamond said

"I don't want to go home", Ayanna said.

Diamond sighed. "Ayanna don't argue with me. you're coming home when I come and get you"

"Okay", Ayanna said in a sad voice.

"I have to get back to work, okay. I'll call you to say goodnight", Diamond said.

"Okay, bye", Ayanna said.

"Bye, baby", Diamond said.

Ayanna gave the phone to Vanessa.

"But yet you say it wasn't that bad", Vanessa said.

"It wasn't. listen I'm not about to talk to you about this again", diamond said

"Sorry to be a cousin that cares", Vanessa said.

"And I thank you have that, but I'm at work I gotta get off the phone", diamond said.

"I have one question", she said. "you did let him know you guys are over, like divorce over right?"

diamond was quiet.

"Come on diamond", Vanessa said. "you are so much better than that"

"You wouldn't understand because you are married and you don't have kids. A divorce puts a big burden on not only the couple but the kids too", Diamond said. 

"So you're giving him another chance? after what he did you're giving him another chance??", Vanessa asked

"bye Vanessa", Diamond said.

"Okay you know what we'll talk about this later", Vanessa said. "bye"

"bye", diamond said before she hung up and get up from the chair and turned to walk to check on her patients but saw Kendrick and jumped. "oh, you scared me"

"yea I didn't wanna interrupt your phone conversation", he said.

"What's up?", she asked.

"Nothing, just bored. Thought I could come and talk to you about something since everything is slow", he said.

"I'm just going to check on a few patients. ill be back", she said as she walked away.

Diamond gets her patients' needs together and gave them their medications. After she was done, she walked back to Kendrick. "Okay whats up?", she asked.

Kendrick sits down in one of the chairs. "So... um I remember you talking to me about you drinking", he said. "I just wanted to make sure everything was okay"

"Yes, everything is okay. I um..I handled it myself", she said.

"how?", he asked.

"I thought about where that lead my dad to and how it made me feel", Diamond said. "I don't want Ayanna to feel that"

Kendrick nods. "that's a good way to think of it", he said.

Diamond nods.

"Look... I've been tryna play it cool and I know we been done for eight years now, but it kinda hurts to see you with him", Kendrick said.

Diamond was quiet.

"But it's like I see you put on this fake smile every time you come to work and its just like why him? I mean I wasn't perfect but why him?", Kendrick asked.

Diamond looked down.

"And know things aren't right because Ayanna doesn't even wanna come home", he said.

"stay out of my business", Diamond said.

"You don't have to talk to me about that. I mean I'm sorry to eavesdrop but you don't have to talk to me like that", he said. 

Diamond turns around in her chair. "we're done talking", she said.

Kendrick stands up. "whatever diamond", he said. "Be unhappy for the rest of your life if that's what you want. I know one thing if I ever have a child with somebody, I'm not doing to stay in a relationship because of the child that's what people do wrong. Why? because they wake up and see and feel that toxicity every day from their parents and that's what fucks them up more than a divorce"

Diamond looked at him.

"Yea I heard that part too", he said. 

Diamond looked at the computer and started typing.

Kendrick walked away.

TO BE CONTINUED...