Chapter 55

The next morning Diamond woke up and she heard Kendrick and Ayanna talking.

"You did a good thing by calling Mrs. Mills when you heard mommy yelling", Kendrick said.

"But what about daddy?", she asked.

"Well, your dad is- "

Diamond walks into the kitchen.

"Mommy, where's daddy?", Ayanna asked.

Diamond looked at her for moment. Ayanna love Brian just as much as she loved Diamond. Diamond began to feel bad. She wanted to leave Brian but she didn't want Ayanna to never see him again.

"Daddy is at home", Diamond said.

"I wanna see him", Ayanna said.

Diamond looks at Kendrick then back at Ayanna.

"Are you hungry baby?", Diamond asked.

Ayanna nods.

Diamond looks at Kendrick. "Do you have any breakfast food?", she asked.

"You can cook toast, grill cheese, eggs", he said

Diamond walks passed Kendrick to the fridge and gets out cheese.

"Ayanna go watch TV", Diamond said. "Kendrick our the TV on for her and come back in here"

Kendrick and Ayanna leave the kitchen and eventually Kendrick comes back.

"Listen, I don't know what you were about to tell Ayanna about her dad but don't say anything", Diamond said.

"I don't know what beef you have with me all of a sudden but-"

"I don't...I'm just disappointed in you. How could you cheat on her?", Diamond asked. "How could you lie about her?"

Kendrick leans on the counter.

"Do you know how that makes a women feel??", she asked.

"...I don't know what it is about you but-"

Diamond cuts him off again. "Do not blame this on me", she said.

"I'm not. I'm blaming myself", he said.

"So all that stuff you said about still liking me and- ",

Kendrick cuts Diamond off. "Still loving you", he said correcting her. "Yes that is true"

"Okay so what if I got divorced Brian and wanted to be with you? Then what?", she asked as she walked to the stove.

"I would've broken up with her", Kendrick said.

"That's wrong too", Diamond said.

"You wanna know what else is wrong. I mean I guess it isn't because he's not mine anyway but she moved and do I know where? No. She don't even want me around Javontae", Kendrick said.

Diamond get a pan out.

"I guess I should've listened to my mama huh?", he said.

"You shouldn't have gotten into a relationship you weren't ready for", she said.

Kendrick looked at her.

"That's what I did, now look at me", she said. "...my life is just fucked up"

Kendrick begins to say something but before he could get a word out Diamond started talking again.