Chapter 20

The next day Kendrick went to the gym to play basketball with some of his teammates. As he walked into the gym he was on the phone with Diamond.

"How about we go to dinner tonight?", he asked.

"Kendrick I work", she said.

"What time you get off?", he asked.

"I close so I probably won't be home til 12 tonight", she said. "Nothing will be open"

"My kitchen will and I can cook a mean taco salad", he said.

Diamond chuckles. "Your kitchen?", she asked.

"I didn't tel you? I got an apartment", he said.

"That's good but Kendrick coming that late will lead to me falling asleep there and that will not be happening", she said.

"I do kinda be lonely there", he said.

"Well I suggest you get used to it for a while long", she said.

Kendrick chuckles and things get silent for a moment. "I miss you Diamond", he said as he got serious.

"...I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss you", she said.

Kendrick smiles.

"Ay bruh. Come on", Dante yelled from the court.

Kendrick and Dante finally made up and became friends again.

"But um I gotta go", He said.

"Okay. Have fun playing", she said.

"Iight. Talk to you later", he said.

"Talk to you later", she said.

He hung up and put his phone in the bag and then walked to them.

"Hey man. You can't rush a man while he's talking to his lady", Kendrick said. "It ain't right"

Dante chuckles. "Man you wish she was still your lady, you in the dog house", he said as he passed Kendrick the ball.

Kendrick starts dribbling the ball. "So what we doing? Shooting for captain?"

"Yea. Guess you up first", Dante said.

"Iight. First pick", he said as he shot the ball and made it.

Kendrick watches a guy get the rebound . "Hey, you look familiar. What's your name"

"He play ball for the college down the street", Dante said.

"Oh yea. You good boy. Not as good as me but you good", Kendrick said joking around.

The guys laugh.

Brian shakes his head. He goes to the three point line and shoots the ball and makes it.

"Iight is Kendrick and Brian y'all captains", Heyward, a guy from Kendrick's school team, says.

"Hold up. What's your name?", Kendrick asked.

"Brian", Brian said. "What? That sound familiar to you?", he said with a smirk.

Kendrick ignores him. "Dante you on my team", he said.

"Nick I got you", Brian said.

"Heyward", Kendrick said.

"Laron", Brian said.

"Luke", Kendrick said.

"And last but not least Devontae", Brian said.

"Damn y'all always choosing a nigga last", Devontae said.

"Get off the bench and you may be first next time", Kendrick said jokingly.

Devontae laughs. "Fuck you man", he said.

"I'm joking dude", Kendrick said.

"Check up", Brian said.

"Iight everybody guard ya man", Dante said.

"I got Brian", Kendrick said as he stood in front of Brian and looked at him.

"You got a problem dude?" Brian asked.

At this point body could hear them.

"Yea especially if you know Diamond", Kendrick said.

"Oh yeah I know her. We just had dinner together last night", Brian said. "She seems like a great girl. You know her?"

"Man you know damn well I do", Kendrick said.

"Kendrick!", Dante said as he was dribbling the ball trying to get past laron. "What the fuck are you doing, pay attention"

Kendrick gets open and Dante throws him the back. Brian guards Kendrick. Kendrick tried to get past Brian but couldn't. He tossed the ball back to Dante who was on his way to the basket. Dante makes a lay up.

"What Kendrick? I thought you was the best of the best. Better than me? But you can't even get past me. Mind occupied with something?", Brian asked.

"Yea. Occupied by me wanting to beat your ass", Kendrick said as he pushed him.

Brian pushes him back and they were about to fight until the other guys keep them apart.

"What's going on?",  Heyward asked.

"Stay away from her", Kendrick said.

"What you gone do if I don't? Beat my ass?", Brian said with a chuckle.

Kendrick starts to get out of the other guys' grip and they hold him back more.

"I don't know what you tryna do, but Diamond good. She ain't looking for no relationship at the moment", he said.

"Listen man, I ain't tryna do nothing. She just my friend...it's up to her if she wanna be more than that", Brian said. "But hearing the stuff you did dude.. I'd say I got one up on you"

Kendrick gets mad. "Let me go", he said as he jerked away from the guys and points at Brian. "Stay away from her"

"That's her choice man", Brian said.

"Luke guard Brian, Kendrick get Devontae", Dante said.

Kendrick and Luke switch and they start playing again.

The finished playing basketball after a while.

"Ay Dante I'll talk to you later", Brian said before he left.

"What is going on with you and Brian?", Dante asked.

"I don't wanna talk about it. I gotta catch Diamond before she get to work", Kendrick said pulling out his phone and walking outside.

Diamond answered the phone . "I'm on my way to work Kendrick, what's up?"

"What's up is, I just met your little boyfriend and I know you been talking about me with him", he said.

"Kendrick that isn't my boyfriend. We are just friends"; she said.

"Diamond you don't tell other niggas about our problems", he said. "Especially somebody who want you!"

"You mad like we together", Diamond said.

"Really Diamond", Kendrick asked.

"What?", she asked.

"Just stop telling him stuff iight? That's what Kelly is for", Kendrick said.

"I have to go. Okay?", she said.

"And Diamond let me tell you something. I may love you but I ain't no fool . He told me y'all was out last night and if you like him tell me now"

"We didn't eat out together intentionally. He was in the same place as me and we didn't to eat at the same table that's it", Diamond said. "Like I said before , you're the one I have feelings for. Now I have to go"

"... fine", Kendrick said, "have a good time at work"

"Thanks. Bye", she said.

"Bye", Kendrick said before he hung up

TO BE CONTINUED....