7. I take a road trip to the Pentagon

To say the ride to wherever it is Kalen is taking me is uncomfortable is an understatement. Kalen is focused on the road in front of him, not opening his mouth once to try and start a conversation, which leaves me fidgeting in the seat behind him, not knowing if I should try to talk to him or if I should just look out the window. We've been driving for over an hour now and as much as I love to watch the scenery, seeing how all the buildings and trees seem to blur together, the silence is starting to get to me.

"So, where are you taking me exactly?"

There is a tense minute when I think he will just ignore me, but he speaks up before I can add even more jerk points to his current streak.

"To the Elite compound. We call it HQ," He says bluntly, not taking his eyes off the road.

"Oh. And where is that exactly?"

He looks at me through the rear-view mirror.

"The one that we are going to is in Landa, but we have other bases stationed all over the country. It's mostly labs and security, but our training facilities and dorms are located there, and it's where young Elites are taught how to..."

"To harness your Gifts and use them for the good of society," I cut in. "I know that. Everyone does."

He stares at me for a second longer before redirecting his attention to the surrounding cars.

"Well if you knew already, then why ask in the first place."

"I didn't ask what it was, I asked where it was," I huff, crossing my arms in front of me and refusing to look at him.

I know I'm acting like a child, and not like the seventeen year old that I am, but I can't find it in myself to care. If he's going to be cold towards me and act as if I'm not even in the car, then why should I try to be nice?

"Well now you know," He answers, impassive as always.

He really gets my blood boiling.

After another tense few minutes he eventually breaks the silence, playing around with the radio and settling on a pop music station. Well, at least he has good taste in music.

"So, no Gift. How is that even possible?"

I know he doesn't say it with bad intentions. I just don't like it when people bring up the subject. It was bound to happen eventually; everyone always asks questions when they find out I have no Gift. Although the questions are usually along the lines of 'Are you sick?' 'Have you always been Giftless, or is it just a temporary thing?' or my personal favorite 'But it's only you right, it's not contagious?'

Yes, you will lose your Gift if you touch me, or breathe the same air as me. But I know that Kalen just wants to understand, so I try to keep a leveled head and answer him as best as I can. Although it isn't much of an answer really.

"Nope, never have," I say, popping the p at the end. "And before you ask," I intervene when I see him opening his mouth to cut in, "I don't know why this happened, or why it happened to me. I mean, both my parents had Gifts, so I doubt it's a genetic thing."

I don't want to see his reaction. Most people stare at me with pity after I tell them about my 'condition', and pity is not what I need right now. But when I look up the only thing I see shining in those stunning gray eyes is... understanding. No pity, no disgust, it looks like he knows firsthand what I'm talking about.

For a second it seems like he wants to add something more, but then decides against it, clearing his throat and averting his eyes first.

"I'm sorry," he says eventually, "that must be hard for you."