66. A battle of Earth and Fire

"Alright, time to go," says Daniel, ushering Diana towards the back door.

I spot a tall man, dressed in that strange blue suit from my vision and a mask covering his face, getting out of the driver's side of the van, and he starts to make his way towards us. I freeze, glancing back at the orphanage and Kalen, and then looking at all the children playing in the yard, unaware of the danger they are in. We can't just leave, not when so many of them could get hurt or worse.

Kalen, who also spots the man making his way closer and closer to us, curses and balls his hands into fists, letting them be surrounded in flames.

"Bri, did this happen in your vision?" he asks, and I flinch, watching as Diana whirls around in confusion and anger.

"Bri?" she starts, but I ignore her look of betrayal and focus on the task at hand.

I look at Kalen and shake my head, watching the masked man as he makes his way over the grassy hill.

"No, it's changed. Our being here has modified the future. It should be Dominic in the garden with her, but that man he---" I look at Rose, who is staring at us in fear, starting to round up the children.

"Well he does something far worse in my vision."

I don't think Diana can handle any more surprises for the day, because her eyes go wide at the mention of her uncle's name.

"Dominic, as in Dominic Khan? What are you talking about?" she yells, so I nod at Daniel, who pulls the confused girl into the orphanage. Her safety is our top priority, but we also need to make sure none of these kids get hurt. Or Rose for that matter.

"Rose!" I call, turning to face the woman, who has gone alarmingly still.

"Take the kids inside, lock all the doors save for this one. Don't come out until we've left and you are sure that van is gone."

Rose nods, her instincts as a caregiver kicking in, as she guides all the children inside the house. When the man sees what we are doing he picks up his pace, until he ends up running down the hill, heading straight for us. Kalen looks at me before rushing to meet him halfway, ignited fists coming up to swing at the masked man's face.

His attacker doesn't even falter as he dodges his flames, but he does slow down slightly.

Kalen jumps at him, spinning mid-air to land a kick on his head. The man staggers, which gives Kalen the chance to hit his attacker right on his arm, and I hear him cry out as the flames come in contact with his skin. He headbutts Kalen, who's head snaps back so fast I'm scared he's injured his neck. The man lets go and Kalen falls to the floor, keeping a hand on his forehead and then, so fast that I barely have time to blink, the earth starts to rumble at his feet.

Kalen stares at it in shock, looking back up at the man, who has his hands placed face down on the ground. He is an earth manipulator, another elemental like Kalen. This spurs me into action, and I start running towards the two.

It doesn't take my friend long to realize what's happening, because the next instant he springs into action, launching flame after flame as he tries to distract the man and stop him from using his Gift. The rumbling stops, but only as the man dodges Kalen's attacks. The balls of fire do little to stop him however, and I know Kalen can't keep up this trick for long.

As I run I search my mission pack, trying to find something I can use to help, and I dig out the pistol I had taken from Khan's bodyguard. I clench my teeth, not liking the idea of using a firearm but having no other choice. I take aim, shooting at the kneeling man, but before the bullet manages to hit him a wall of stone and dirt forms in front of him, shielding him from the bullet. And Kalen.