36. Kalen, the fire breathing dragon

"You need to find out what happens to her. We need to know when this guy is going to go after her."

I sigh, at the message that pops up on my screen, typing a quick reply on my TekPad. We are currently in our genetics class, and Amanda stands in front of the giant whiteboard, writing down formulas and DNA code, while the rest of us read chapter 4 section 3.2. Except, it's been a bit hard to concentrate with all the messages popping up every few seconds.

"You think I don't know that? And quit it, we're going to get caught."

I press send and try to focus on what I'm reading, but not two seconds have passed when another message comes in. This time I try to stifle a laugh at what it says.

"No one catches Kalen Halloran," adding a winky face for good measure.

Ever since my vision a couple weeks ago we've been trying to trigger another one. I've been watching everything that has to do with Diana Khan, reading news articles about her, I even started to follow her on social media to see if that would help at all. So far all I've gotten, is a headache.

Quinn's funeral was short, but almost everyone attended, wanting to pay their respects. Team A hasn't been on a mission since the incident, and it doesn't look like the compound will be sending any out soon. We've gotten word from the other Elite compounds all over the country, and it turns out they have also lost members of their own because of this masked foe. Who, so far, is still a ghost to us. We tried researching the "Second One" but nothing came up, just an old country song. And since we knew nothing more of the mystery man, we found ourselves at a dead end.

If nothing gets better by the week's end, I'm going to go talk to Christian. We don't know when Diana is going to visit the orphanage, but it could be any day now and we need to be prepared.

"As you all know the mutation manifests itself differently in all of us," says Amanda, putting down her marker and facing the class. "But there are similarities between some and other species. Can anyone give me an example?"

Sandra raises her hand.

"For some reason, people with Invisibility Gift have a similar DNA pattern that some reptiles like chameleons do."

"Exactly, now," she walks up to Sandra. "This is because, like some species of chameleons, they can change their skin color, in order to blend in with their surroundings. We don't know why this happens, as the discovery was fairly new, but could anyone give a guess?"

No one offers an answer, and I honestly have no idea myself. Why would we share similarities with an animal? I mean sure, 90% of our DNA is similar to chimpanzees, but that's different. We don't have to think too long and hard though, because one of the older trainees answers.

"Because they went through a similar evolutionary process, only at a different pace?"

Amanda shrugs, lifting her eyebrows and pursing her lips.

"It could be, that's a good guess Yang."

Another message pops up on my screen, and I tap on it to see what it says.

"I wonder if I share DNA with a dragon, that would explain the fire."

I can't contain the giggle that escapes my lips, and I quickly put a hand over my mouth to muffle the sound. But Amanda hears it, so I close my TekPad and apologize for the disturbance. Our mentor levels me with one of her famous stares, one that up until now, I hadn't had the pleasure of being on the receiving end of. I hang my head, and once she turns away, I look to the person at fault for my sudden burst of laughter. Kalen is serious as ever, but I can tell he is trying to hold back his amusement by the way his eyes crinkle in the corners, and his mouth twitches every two seconds. He looks my way and quickly averts his eyes, covering his mouth with a fist, coughing into it to disguise a laugh.

But something about this class is tugging at my brain. Like an itch I can't scratch, it's there, but I can't reach it. Something about sharing DNA with animals that may affect our mutations, the evolutionary process similar yet so different in so many different ways. No animal could see the future, but what about... killing with a single touch? I'd have to investigate it further, it could be a solid lead to help us find our mystery man. After Amanda finishes the class and asks us all to please think of examples of similar evolutionary processes between other organisms and our Gifts, we all head to our next class.

"What, you didn't like my joke?"

Kalen is waiting for me at the door, seeing as he is always out of the class before me, sitting in the front being a clear advantage for that. I'm usually one of the last people out, because of my position in the back. He wears a cocky grin, eyes sparkling with mirth, and I playfully punch him in the shoulder at his comment.

"Hey!"

"That's for getting me in trouble," I pout, crossing my arms in front of me, but that just seems to amuse him further as he lets out a low laugh.

"You loved it."

I roll my eyes and walk out of the classroom, checking out at the RCT, roll call tablet, as we have taken to calling it. Ever since this mystery man appeared, Elites all over were doing the opposite, disappearing out of the blue. This was a new security measure to ensure we were all accounted for, and they had been placed in every single one of our classrooms.

As we head towards the patio, where we should be having our next class, Daniel rounds the corner and holds up his hand for us to wait. We stop as he catches up to us.

"Hi, Daniel, what's up?" Greets Kalen.

"Oh not much, training with the juniors is being tougher than usual this year. We nearly got turned to stone by a little Medusa imitator the other day," he chuckles. But his amusement quickly disappears, a serious expression darkening his features.

"But that's not why I'm here. Christian has been calling you all to his office, he's asked me to fetch you, Brianna. Kalen, he should be calling you shortly."

We both share a look, not knowing why Christian wants to speak to us all of a sudden. Especially since he wants to have a private meeting in his office. He usually just comes to look for whomever he needs to have words with.

I nod, thanking Daniel and shooting one final glance to Kalen, before heading to Christians office. I barely made it 10 feet when I feel a vibration in my pocket, and I open my TekPad to find a new message.

"Keep me posted," it says

I sigh, always so forward.

I pocket my TekPad and turn at the familiar intersection, heading left towards Christians office. I head down the hall with all the pictures on the wall but, before I make it to his door, I stop. Something is... pulling me back?

I turn around, but there is no one else in the corridor. I take a few steps forward, feeling the pull get stronger. What is that? It's like something is calling to me.

I keep walking, examining the walls as I go. Could it be the pictures? But I've been down this way before and I've never felt anything like this. I pass by a familiar newspaper cut out and stop, feeling the pull so strongly it practically buzzes. It's that picture of President Khan and his father. But as I examine the photograph, I notice that they aren't the ones that drew me here. It's the boy, that boy that seems so out of place in the picture. Standing on stage, not as a part of the front but neither a part of the President's entourage. I trace my fingers over his face.

I've seen those eyes somewhere. The question is, where?