38. We get our first mission

I push open the Hydra head doors and find Daniel sparring with Liam on the mat. Some trainees have gathered around to watch, but most just focus on their own training and wait for Daniel to call them.

I join the small group huddled around the mat, watching as Daniel expertly dodges one of Liam's periculum attacks. He has gotten much better at controlling his Gift, learning to shape it into something semi-tangible, but still not quite physically there. It almost looks like he's wielding solidified fog. Daniel rushes at the shadow wielder and strikes at his chest, but the latter somehow manages to dodge, and thrusts his Gift straight at Daniel's torso. The impact sends him flying backward, a dark curtain of black fog rippling around his body. He rolls away from it, crouches, and pushes himself back onto his feet.

I don't know how long they've been at it, but Liam's stark white hair is plastered to his forehead. Beads of sweat run down his neck in rivulets. His shoulders heave with every breath.

He's bulked up during our time at the compound. He isn't as scrawny as he was when he first arrived. Thin lanky limbs have given way to toned muscle and broad shoulders. The dark circles that used to decorate his under eyes have also faded, making him seem much more alert and healthy.

Daniel's movements have become sluggish. He seems tired, but not nearly as much as his student. He uses this to his advantage when he finally decides to use his Gift, waiting till the last possible moment to strike, when Liam is at his weakest.

Daniel's Gift may not be much compared to other Elite Gifts in the compound, but it gives him the push he needs to gain the upper hand. Of course, in order to do that, he needs to touch the person he wishes to freeze. In this case, Liam, who is getting ready to strike. He isn't paying attention to how close our mentor is. A smile appears on his face when he thinks he has Daniel right where he wants him. Oh Liam, bad mistake.

Daniel takes his chance the moment Liam fires his shadow beam, spinning one hundred and eighty degrees to avoid it. Once in the clear, he slams his palms on Liam's chest, who doesn't reacted fast enough. His eyes widen. He knows what's coming. His entire body stills. Daniel pushes him down onto the blue mat.

With victory clinched, Daniel huffs and releases Liam, allowing him control over his body once again. He pats his student on the knee as he uses it to push himself up.

"You did good Liam, much better than our last session," he pants, placing his hands on his hips. "But next time, try to be a bit faster."

Liam grunts and pushes himself off the floor, shuffling off the mat with his shoulders hunched and his head bowed. He ignores the crowd and heads over to the farthest corner where his friend, the girl that had been fussing over him the first day of training, waits with a wide grin on her face. I see her talk excitedly and pat him on the arm, obviously telling him that he did well. Liam just shrugs and plops down next to her, throwing a towel over his head.

No one from our year group has managed to beat Daniel yet. Some of the third years managed to overcome him in a fight, but never one that involved weapons. Daniel can use anything and everything that hangs on the far wall, although he usually picks daggers, which is one of the reasons I think Kalen uses them as well.

Daniel is his favorite mentor, also Mara's and Jayson's. The four of them act more like friends rather than trainer and trainees, and I can't help but feel a bit jealous when I see them together. I just hope that someday I can have that sort of trust with him.

I spot Jayson doing pushups a few feet away from the mat, and I sit on the floor, finding Cassie and Mara's bags lying next to his.

"They went to the bathroom, they'll be back," he huffs when he sees what I'm looking at, not stopping his workout routine.