50. I run into problems at the park

"Promise me you will be careful."

"I promise."

"If you feel like anything is out of place you call us, you hear me? Don't get into something you can't handle on your own."

"I know Kalen, relax, I'll be careful."

Ever since that night Kalen has been, I don't want to say annoying, but just very overprotective. I don't mind it really; I just don't want him to stress over something he can't control. Our life as Elites is full of dangers, and the sooner he realizes we won't always be safe, the better.

Mara has definitely noticed that something is up between the two of us, it's kind of hard not to when we spend most of our days together. We haven't kissed again, we both agreed that we wanted to take things slow, we're still sorting out our feelings and need time to come to terms with what happened. That doesn't mean that we don't sit a little closer to each other while we all watch a movie at night, or look at each other more than usual from across the dinner table. It also doesn't mean that we are completely comfortable around each other, sometimes getting so embarrassed that we have to leave the room lest we make a fool of ourselves further. I've had enough awkward moments this week thank you very much. 

"I don't get you two," she complains one afternoon, laying on the floor of our room. I told her that if she wanted to lay anywhere, she should at least lay on the bed, but she insisted the floor was better, so I let her be.

"One minute you are avoiding him like he killed your dog, and the next you are sending him heart eyes any chance you get! Pull yourself together. Seriously, you are giving me a headache."

I giggle, trying to cover the blush that is slowly creeping up my neck. She has no idea.

That was two days ago, and now I find myself sitting on a bench in the park, watching as Diana speaks with parents and children. So, this is why she wanted to come to the Meric park. They are holding a fundraiser for a school that is in danger of being shut down because of insufficient funding, and Diana, being the saint that she is, just needed to come and make the biggest donation out of everyone here. I watch, from afar, making sure to keep an eye on the president's daughter at all times. My muscles are drawn so tight I feel like a string about to snap. The attack that took place a few days ago has me on edge, jumping at every new voice or person that comes in a three-mile radius from Diana. We had contacted Anna and asked her to check out the park before we came, and she confirmed that Simon Says had been here, and he wasn't alone. His string was knotted with someone else's. Only their string was pitch black.

"I've never seen a string of that color," she said "they are usually light, like pink or yellow. Never black."

I asked her to come with me, but she said it would be better for her to follow the trail elsewhere. She said she found another warehouse where one of the Elites was killed, and it had strings everywhere she looked. She sent the location to Asher, who was busy trying to find a connection between all the buildings.

I think it's understandable that I'm on edge, but two hours into the fundraiser and it looks like I had nothing to worry about after all. I even take some time to flip open my TekPad and check Dove.

"Everything ok?" 

I roll my eyes, smiling down at the screen.

"Kalen, I told you to stop worrying."

I'm not surprised when the reply comes in only a second later.

"You can't blame me, if you were in my position you would feel just as helpless."

My heart softens at that. It was probably true. If I was stuck at base, not knowing if my friends were safe or not, it would probably drive me mad.

"Sofia!"

I keep texting, completely oblivious to the person jogging towards me.

"Sofia!"

Oh wait, I'm Sofia.

I look up and see Diana coming towards me.

"Got to go, I'll see you later! And don't worry, I'll be fine."

I quickly send my reply and close my TekPad, stuffing it back into my jacket pocket. I dressed in casual clothing, a pair of blue ripped jeans and a white T-shirt, covered by my favorite purple jacket.

"Why are you here all alone?"

She sits down next to me, leaning back and taking a sip from one of the water bottles that are being handed out by the charity holders.

I shrug.

"Just," I take in a deep breath, making a show of closing my eyes and leaning my head back. "Enjoying the fresh air. It's been a while since I just got to hang out and do nothing. It's a miracle that my mentor let me have the day off."

She nods. I told her that my mother had talked to my mentors and gave me a the day off, considering I was going to meet with such a "special" friend. I told her that only my mother knew about her, that it was impossible for me to keep a secret like that from her. I felt bad for lying, Diana has been nothing but kind to me, but I told myself I was doing the right thing. I know I'm doing the right thing. I'm making sure she is safe, and in my book that is a good enough reason to lie to someone.

"I just spoke to the loveliest couple," she says, and launches into a story, telling me about the Charles's, about how they came here from Europe to raise their two daughters to give them a better future, seeing as they were just Norms. I smile, listening to her story. But I make the mistake of letting my guard down.

I see him in my mind before I see him with my eyes.

His face is covered by a pair of sunglasses and a baseball cap, but I would recognize him anywhere. Simon Says is here, and he is too close for comfort.

"Diana," I say, cutting her off in the middle of a sentence. "You need to leave."

Her eyebrows shoot up in confusion, lips turning downwards in a frown.

"What? Why?"

I search the crowd, finally spotting him near one of the tables. He looks like he is also searching for someone, and I'm pretty sure I know who it is. He hasn't seen us yet, so I stand in front of Diana and turn my back to him, hoping to block her from his line of sight.

"There is a man here, he has been on the compound's radar for a while. I don't want anything to happen to you. Not on my watch. What sort of Elite would I be if I let someone harm the president's daughter?"

Her eyes widen as she quickly scans the crowd, hands shifting nervously in her lap. Way to go Brianna, now you scared the poor girl.

"Don't worry, he might be here for a completely different reason, but it's better to be safe than sorry."

Diana nods, taking a deep breath to steel her nerves. I glance back over my shoulder and feel my heart stop in my chest when I don't see him. Simon Says has disappeared, but I know he is still here, I feel it. That familiar buzz was back, like my own personal spidey-sense that tells me danger is near. I turn back to Diana. I need to get her somewhere safe, and I need to call my team. This time I'm not letting Simon Says get away.

"Okay," I scan the perimeter and find a small cafe about twenty meters away.

"Listen to me. You are going to walk to that coffee shop, see it? That one right on the corner. I want you to walk, don't run, walk. If possible make it look like you are with a group, the street is pretty busy at this time of day, make yourself disappear into the crowd."

She nods and starts to turn, but stops midway to stare back at me.

"What about you?"

Her eyes are wide, darting back and forth like an animal stuck in a cage.

"I'm going to contact the compound. Try to get a team out here. It's about time we caught this sucker."

She nods, and with a final nudge from me she starts walking towards the coffee shop. I make sure no one is following her before I turn back to the parents walking around the park, searching for a baseball cap and glasses that managed to escape.

Come out, come out wherever you are. This time, you are not getting away.