52. Good cop, Bad cop

"That isn't possible. How could you not know who you are working for?"

It's been two weeks since our incident at the park, and since then our ever so popular villain has decided not to cooperate. The compound is dealing with some important stuff abroad, so they hadn't been able to send someone right away to pick him up, which meant that we were in charge of him until someone came. Christian called this morning, his familiar voice soothing some of my nerves.

"I'll be coming by today to get Simon Says."

His message was short and to the point. Both he and Daniel would be coming by to make sure Simon Says was taken back to the compound successfully, and the thought of seeing the both of them had me jumping off the walls. I need to see my mentor, how long had it been since we were able to just chat? And Christian, who is always looking out for us. I didn't realize how much I had missed life at the compound until now.

But before Simon Says leaves I am determined to get as much information out of him as possible. So far, my attempts have proven rather useless. This man sure knows how to keep silent for someone who's Gift involves speaking.

But thankfully Kalen is here to persuade him into answering some of my questions.

"I swear, I never knew his name! He contacted all of us through our TekPads and gave us specific orders. I never even heard his voice!"

Kale takes his hand away from Simon Says face, extinguishing the small flame that had been dancing between his fingers.

I glance over at Mara, who gives me a thumbs up. He's telling the truth. Mara can detect even the slightest tremor in someone's voice when they are lying, which I only just discovered yesterday. No wonder she never believed me when we talked about Kalen. Her unique Gift is really coming in handy, because thanks to her, we can make sure that Simon Says isn't lying to us or feeding us false information.

"So why are you helping him if you don't even know the man?" Asks Kalen, coming around the table to stand on my left.

We have Simon handcuffed to one of the chairs in the kitchen, and we kept him in one of the spare rooms when we weren't interrogating him, monitoring him at all hours of the day with a security system that Axel had created in less than three hours.

"Why does anyone do anything these days kid? Money. He offered me ten grand for a simple job. I jumped at the opportunity."

I huff. Typical, money can buy anything these days, I guess it's always been able to.

But that isn't what caught my attention.

"You said he contacted 'all of you', who else is out there working for him?"

Simon Says pales at the realization that he just gave us an important clue, that this mystery man isn't working alone, which means there could be plenty more to interrogate. He shakes his head and keeps his lips sealed shut, and no matter how many times Kalen threatens him, he refuses to speak. I sigh, running a hand through my long hair, and walk Simon Says back to his makeshift "cell". When I come back, Mara, Ash, and Kalen are all sitting at the kitchen table, waiting.

"It doesn't look like he'll talk anytime soon," I tell them, "so I'll leave the rest of the interrogation up to Christian."

 Kalen nods, but Asher just seems annoyed.

"Something wrong?" I ask him, noticing how our usually cheery companion seems on edge.

"It's already been four weeks, four weeks! And all we have to show for it is a guy locked up in the spare bedroom of a rented apartment building. We haven't heard from the others in days; and I'm starting to worry that this whole mission is a waste of time. We are no closer to finding out anything about the President, Diana has gone AWOL on us, and the only one who probably knows anything is Jay, and he hasn't talked to us since he left." He bursts, breath leaving him in static spurts between words. I can understand his frustration, but now isn't the time to start doubting ourselves.

"Ash, we're all feeling a bit overwhelmed, we all want this to be over and done with, but we just need hope that sooner or later someone will find something. Maybe it will be your compound, maybe it will be ours. Maybe it will be Cassie or Xavier or Anna or Jayson. Who knows. The point is, we can't lose hope now. Not when we are so close to finishing this."

Ash huffs and crosses his arms over his chest, staring at the table as if trying to burn a hole into the wood with his eyes.

It's true what he said, about the others. It's been days since we heard anything from them, but rather than be upset; I'm starting to get worried. Why aren't they contacting us? Are they okay? The thought of something happening to Cassie makes my stomach churn, and I only wish that any day now they will call with news about the President.

"Well, I think that was all for today folks," says Mara, getting up from the table and heading towards the door. "If you need me, I will be outside, getting some fresh air."

I watch her leave, a heavy feeling in my chest. Mara is probably the most worried out of all of us. I suspect something happened between her and Jayson before he left, but every time I started to ask her about it, she changed the subject, leaving me in the dark.

"I'm going to try and contact Xavier... again," mumbles Ash, retreating to his room. I sigh, staring at the only person left in the room.

"What are we going to do?" I ask Kalen, coming to sit across from him. He smiles at me, a small thing that is only meant for my eyes to see. 

"Why don't we just take a day and let other people do some work for once. Christian and Daniel will be here in half an hour, 'till then why don't we just do nothing?"

Do nothing.

I can't even remember the last time I had a moment to myself.

Kalen seems to read my thoughts, and he pulls me up after him and guides me towards the sofa. We both sit down, and before he has a chance to protest, I snuggle into his side. I feel him stiffen momentarily, arm held awkwardly over my shoulder before he relaxes and settles himself next to me, leaning on me as I lean on him. Supporting each other. I must dose off eventually, because it only feels like a minute has gone by before someone is ringing our doorbell.