44. We go our separate ways

"Okay, so Xavier, Kalen, and Cassie will try and join the Elite campaign. All the candidates will be staying at the Mar, so you should be able to learn more about the president," says Mara, looking at both boys, and Cassie, for confirmation.

After three days of planning we finally had an idea about who would do what, and where. Today is the day of the campaign, so we really had no choice but to put our plan into action. Kalen seems to be the only one who was able to get close to Xavier during the small period of time we spent together. The boy still won't talk, but he seems to be coming out of his shell. Cassie begged them to let her go as well, so she will join the boys and report everything back to Mara and Asher, who will stay here, helping us from the base.

Asher created and connected eight earpieces, little transparent plastic gadgets that are practically invisible, so that they run on the same frequency. Now, we will all be in touch with one another in case anything goes south.

Jayson has the most dangerous job. The President is looking for a new bodyguard, and Jayson is going to present himself to the tryouts. Luckily, Khan is looking for someone young and fit, straight out of training, so Jay fits the description perfectly. If he is discovered, it will be hard to help him, but this is probably the best chance we have at following the President 24/7.

"Jay, you need to get a move on soon and make it to that reunion," says Mara, masking her worry for him with a stern tone.

She was the one that suggested Jayson be the one to do the job, but I think she is regretting her decision. I accidentally walked in on them yesterday when they were having a private conversation. It seemed like an important moment for the both of them, and though I didn't hear any confessions, there were whispered words, hands held loosely together. I snuck back into the hall before they noticed me and the moment was ruined.

"Anna, you are on Simon Says duty, but more importantly, on ghost duty. With your Gift, you're probably the only one of us that will be able to find him."

Anna nods, finally looking more like a team player after having spent some time with us during the past few days. She told us about her Gift on the second day of our stay here, when I finally built up the courage to ask her about her eyes. It turns out, she can see the essence of a person, and the traces they leave behind when they move around.

"It's like strings," She told me "they weave together and form a web of connections. Sometimes strings intertwine, when two people meet, and each person has a certain colored string. It has to do with energy particles, but it's a bit more complicated if I explain it in biological terms."

She explained to me how our team was all sewn together, knots forming in all of our strings, which was proof of our strong bond.

"You and that Cassie girl have the most knots," she said, and I wasn't surprised to hear it.

"So you can find Simon Says by following his string?" I asked, happy that Anna seemed more open to sharing information about herself.

She nodded.

"But it isn't that simple. If a person hasn't been to a certain location in a while, the string starts to fade, it makes it harder for me to find them. We need to figure out the last place Simon Says visited so I can get a clear trail."

So Anna will be our tracker, once Mara and Asher come up with a location for her she will head out as well. All that left was...

"Bri, because of your visions," Says Mara, turning to me, "we know all of this has something to do with Diana."

We told our new team what my Gift was the day we arrived, at night, when everyone was unpacked and everything was organized. Their reactions had been expected. First disbelief, then shock, then finally acceptance.

"I still can't believe you can see the future," says Asher, eyes wide as he looks at me, and I blush. Asher is easily the kindest person on his team, and it might have to do with the fact that he is so young, not yet tainted by the world. He had conversations with all of us and tried to help with whatever he could. He worried over our safety and helped come up with backup plans in case anything went wrong. He's just a sweet kid. Having joined the compound at fourteen, a mere five months ago, he is the most inexperienced out of all of us, and I'm starting to see him like a little brother. Kalen huffs, and I turn to him with an eyebrow raised. What's his problem now? Can't take it that someone complimented me? Sucks buddy.

"As I was saying," continues Mara, "you will need to find a way to get close to her. Join one of her charities, I don't know, just do it fast."

I give Mara an exaggerated salute, getting the pencil she was using thrown at me in return.

"That's all of it. Just..." She looks at the group one more time, eyes shining.

"Be careful," she mumbles, and I purposely ignore how her eyes linger on Jayson, who seems to give a subtle nod.

"All right!" Says Cassie, bringing her hands together and getting to her feet. "Let's do this."

I haven't seen her this excited in a while, and it puts my nerves to rest. I don't know how I will manage to get close to the president's daughter, but I need to find a way to do it  fast. Who knows when our mystery Elite will strike next.

"Well, we should get going, don't want to be late," says Kalen. They are dressed formally, he and Xavier wearing black suits and Cassie wearing a dark blue blouse. They thought about using the camo suit, but it seems they packed just for the occasion. Jayson on the other hand, had his own suit on, which had transformed into what I suppose is a bodyguard's uniform. Down to the nametag on his chest and the gun strapped to his side.

I get up and follow my friends out the door, hugging Cassie goodbye. If all went well, she would be at the Mar tonight, celebrating at the campaign dinner. I might not get to see her until this is all over and done with, and the thought makes me nervous.

"Good luck," I whisper into her shoulder, squeezing her a bit harder.

She doesn't say anything back, just nods and gives me a reassuring smile. I would say something to Xavier but... well... I don't know what to say. So, I pat him on the back and give him a thumbs up. Lastly, I turn to Kalen. I still don't know what's gotten into him lately, it's like the mission's put him on edge, but I can see how nervous he is right now. How much he wants to prove himself to the compound. I pull him in for a hug, ignoring how he stiffens momentarily in my hold.

"Stay safe," I mumble. I hold onto him for a little longer, relishing the feeling of being held, only pulling away when he coughs in his throat.

"We'll be fine," he reassures me, the ghost of a smile passing over his lips. His gray eyes search mine, and I turn away before they find whatever they are looking for.

"Same goes to you," he says, "don't get yourself killed." He winks at me, and that's the last thing he says to me before he's walking out the door and shutting it behind him.

The realization that we are all going our separate ways suddenly sinks in, and it hits me like a train. What if something happens? What if I never see them again? So many things can go wrong...

I guess I'll just have to make sure that they don't.