70.Time starts...now!

I slow down once I'm sure no one is following me, by someone meaning Kalen, and pause outside my director's door.

"If you have any more instructions for me, or a time limit, now would be the perfect time to tell me," I whisper under my breath, hoping the strange little boy is still listening in on my thoughts.

Sadly, no reply comes, so I sigh and knock on Christians door. I wait for a second before he opens, but he doesn't see me standing there, as he opens while holding and reading something on his TekPad.

"I didn't expect you back so soon. I'm glad you made up your mind. We will have to be careful, so that no one..." he looks up from his TekPad, shutting up instantly when he sees who it is at his door. Obviously, I wasn't the person he was expecting.

"Brianna, to what do I owe the pleasure?" he says, though it does little to hide the panic in his voice.

I look at him quizzically.

"Is everything alright?" I ask, and he just waves a dismissive hand in my direction.

"Yes, yes of course, I was just expecting someone else. The board is having a meeting this afternoon and I had something I needed to tell one of its members."

That makes sense, no wonder he panicked when he saw me standing there, having heard what he said. Most of the board activities are top secret, kept that way for the trainee's protection. So I nod and step into his office when he makes his way back over to his desk.

He is back to wearing his usual green suit, but I notice a strange patch covering his shoulder. When he sits down in his chair I also catch the way he keeps his arm close to his body, moving stiffly, almost as if he were in pain.

"Did you get hurt?" I ask, and when he notices me staring at his shoulder he shifts his body, putting his arm behind his back to hide the patch as best as he can.

"It's just a little scratch I got a few days back when Daniel and I were sparring, nothing for you to worry about. Even I need to brush up on my training from time to time."

I nod, pressing my lips together. Something isn't right here, but I can't seem to put my finger on it. But I shake those thoughts aside. I have more important things to worry about right now.

"You see, sir," I start, sitting in one of the chairs in front of his desk and folding my hands in my lap, picking at the skin around my nails nervously.

"During our missions one of the trainees from the Krift compound got seriously injured. She and her team are currently at the Oakland hospital, and we were hoping you could let us go and see them."

Christian raises an eyebrow, the corners of his mouth turning down slightly, so I plow on before he decides to interrupt.

"We developed a strong bond while working with them, and we just want to make sure that she is okay. It would only be for a couple of hours."

I clench my hands together as I wait for his answer.

"You know the rules, Brianna," he says, rubbing the top of his head. "You aren't supposed to leave the compound unless it's on official business."

I nod, putting the palms of my hands together and bringing them up to my chest, in a praying motion.

"Please sir, let us go."

My director watches me with a steady gaze, dark brown eyes staring straight into my soul, and the hand he was using to rub his head now runs down the length of his face, and he sighs, staring at the table before he looks at me again.

"I'm not sure Brianna, it's times like these when we need everyone at the compound. Especially now that we know that Dominic" He pauses, almost like the name pains him "Is out there, with a target painted on his nieces back. You should all be here, keeping her safe."