24. The fly on the wall

A disbelieving grin slowly spreads across Daniel's face.

"How did you make it work?"

I think back to what I had been doing. I was trying to relax, and then he was talking to me, so I wasn't focusing on my surroundings and...

I look up at Daniel and smile.

And since I wasn't focusing on my surroundings, something else inside of me was. The part of me that knew I was in danger!

"I didn't focus."

Now that I think back on it, the same thing happened during my duel. I was too busy focusing on Alexa, and her notes, that I wasn't fully paying attention to Juan. So, when he attacked me, a part of me saw what was coming and warned me before anything could happen to me. I've been doing it wrong this whole time.

"Again," I say, turning to my mentor, who seems to understand what I'm asking instantly.

He gets back into position, and this time, I don't bother focusing on him or his moves, instead I let instinct take over.

Left leg, he's going to try and trip you.

I look down, and sure enough Daniel is rearing back his left leg to bring it back out in an arch, trying to sweep my feet out from under me. But before he can I sidestep his attack and push him straight in the chest.

He's going to grab you.

I hear the voice, but Daniel is just too fast. He gets a hold of my arms and uses my own strength against me, using the momentum to push me forward. I stare, open-mouthed on the floor, while my mentor lets a wide grin take over his features.

"Well," he says, helping me to my feet for the eleventh time that afternoon "at least we know it works."

"But--" I start, but he cuts me off.

It didn't work perfectly, he was still able to beat me.

"The voice works fine, you are just too slow."

I raise my eyebrow. Gee, thanks.

He notices my expresion and chuckles, explaining himself.

"We need to work on your reflexes, probably speed and strength too, since we want to convince everyone that you have a fighting Gift. But we'll worry about that later. Right now, we accomplished what we were here for, which was to get that voice of yours to work. Now let's just hope it decides to stick around."

He pats my back, and I let relief wash over me in waves. I finally have my cover story, now I just need to work on making it believable.

"Go, get changed, and get to your next class. It will be starting shortly, and I would hate it if you were late because of me."

At Daniel's words I realize that free period is almost over, and I throw a quick thank you over my shoulder as I rush to the door. I miss the fond smile that spreads across his face as he watches me go.

I race down the hallway, and practically sprint all the way to our new dorm, where I find Kalen lounging on the sofa. Now that it's a bigger room, we have space for a little common space where we have a sofa and Tv that is attached to the wall, and two separate sleeping areas. One for the girls, another one for the boys. After an intense game of rock paper scissors, us girls got to keep the bigger room, and the boys got to share a bunk bed in the smaller one. To be fair, we are three, and they are only two.

"Where have you been?" he asks, opening an eye to stare lazily at me. "Your friend and Mara came back a while ago. Jayson said you were with Daniel?"

I nod, rummaging around my drawers for a new shirt. Then I realize he can't see me, so I make my answer verbal.