68. I hear voices... but they aren't my own

When we make it back to the compound it looks like everyone is outside waiting for us. Not just trainees, mentors and board members as well. I spot Christian at the front of the crowd, a fatherly grin plastered on his face, and once we get out of the van he starts to clap. Everyone else follows suit, and soon we are walking into the building with a wave of applause and whistles and cheers meeting our ears. I laugh but notice Diana's nervous expression and edge closer to her.

"Don't worry," I tell her. "They are just happy to see such a famous face."

"Not just that," says Christian, coming forward to greet us, his large frame covering the sun that is peeking over the compound's roof.

"We are glad to have all of you home."

I smile at him, happiness settling in my chest, and he puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Your father would be so proud of you, just as I am."

"Hey, what about us?" pouts Mara, coming to stand behind us with the rest of the team in tow.

Christian laughs, brown eyes sparkling, and he nods to all of my friends.

"I'm proud of all of you, and happy to have you back. It has been strange without my favorite team around." He winks at us, making sure Jacks team is nowhere in sight.

I find them in the crowd, high fiving other trainees, and reuniting with friends.

"Well we are happy to be home," says Jayson, slinging his arm over Mara's shoulders.

I raise my eyebrows at her, letting a cunning smirk make its way onto my face. Mara just giggles and turn back around to lean on Jay as they walk away from us.

"Wow," whispers Diana, as we walk closer to the compound, with Cassie and Kalen close behind.

"So this used to be the Pentagon. It's... smaller than I imagined it."

I laugh at that, watching Christians surprised expression.

"Just wait until you see it on the inside," I say, grabbing her hand and pulling her along.

The crowd that had gathered outside is heading back to their classes, some of them walking towards the common area while others make their way to the training rooms. The familiarity of it all makes a feeling of calm wash over me, and I finally feel like I can breathe again. I spot Leti a few feet away, gaze searching before it falls on her little sister, and she runs after her, tackling her from behind. I laugh at Maras startled cry, watching as the two sisters embrace and bicker at the same time.

"Once again, wow," mumbles Diana, her face lighting up when we walk through the entrance to the Landa compound. Christian practically preens at her words, puffing out his chest with pride.

"I am glad you approve miss Khan. Before you get settled, I would like to have a chat with you in my office. It seems to me like it's high time someone explained this whole situation to you."

Diana's face changes, both determination and nerves present in her body language. She twists her hair between her fingers, and yet she stands with her shoulders back and her head held high.

"Lead the way," she says, and I watch as Christian takes her down one of the many halls that lead to his office, feeling a sense of fulfillment as my director leads Diana away.

We did it, well, at least we did part of it. We managed to keep her safe. For now.

"So, what now?" Asks Cassie, coming to stand in front of Kalen and I. We are the only three left at the entrance.

Mara and Jay had disappeared with Leti, I'm guessing to tell her about all the crazy things that happened to us during our time away from the compound.

"I didn't think about that," I say, shrugging. "I guess we go back to the way things were before. Classes, training, waiting for the next mission."