2. It all started with a spicy smoothy

The doctors say the odds of an Elite father and a Norm mother having a mutant like me are one in a million. I guess I'm that lucky 'one'.

When I was little, I used to come home crying, asking my mother why I didn't have a Gift, when all the kids my age were starting to present their own. She could only hold me and reassure me that even without a Gift, I was special in my own way. My grandmother would tell me that, when her grandmother was a child, it was still normal not to have a Gift. I could only nod dejectedly and watch as other children talked to animals or lifted objects ten times their size.

Now I've learned to block out the judgment and criticism I receive daily. It stings, but I can live with it. So, I raise my head up high and block out the laughter.

"That's enough," calls Mr. Roscovic, silencing the two boys. "Thank you, Miss Acero, I—"

Before he can finish the sentence the bell rings, signaling the end of class and the end of another school day. Everyone jumps up and runs to the door, filing out faster than during a fire drill. Mr. Roscovic sighs and runs a hand through his gray hair while watching the kids barrel through the door. I've got a feeling my teacher is going to approach me, so I take my sweet time packing my things. Over the years, I've learned to listen to my intuition. It's usually spot-on, and today is no exception, because the next minute Mr. Roscovic is standing in front of me in his usual 'teacherly' manner.

"What has been going on with you this week? I don't like to see my best student falling behind."

My ears warm up as I think back to the recent incidents I've had, and I shrug, not meeting my teacher's gaze. "I guess I'm just tired."

That's a lie. The truth is that hearing about the origin of Gifts and learning about all the different kinds; physical, mental, naturistic, Elite, Norm... it was making me feel more self-conscious than usual.

He gives me a knowing look before continuing. "You know you can talk to me if anything is bothering you, Brianna, and you can talk to your mother as well."

His deep brown eyes seem to bore a hole into my soul as he places his big, calloused hand on my shoulder. Scars run up his arms, and I know it's from his time in the field. Mr. Roscovic is probably one of the only Elites I know who didn't choose a life of privilege and wealth, or who wasn't forced into a life dedicated to the military and the government compounds where Elites learn to harness and control their special abilities. Once he finished his service, he decided to shape the future generation as he knew best: by teaching. And, for some reason, no one tried to stop him.

Thank God for his decision. If it weren't for him, my school life would have been hell. The mean comments and snide remarks don't just come from students— some teachers want me gone as well. Out of all of them he is the only person who treats me, well, like a person.

"I'm fine, Mr. Roscovic. There are just a lot of things going on, between finals coming up and my job it's hard to find a minute to take a break."

The worry lines on his brow fade.

"You will do fine on your exams as always. Just please, try to pay attention from now on. Or at least act as if you were. I don't want to lose one of my favorite students to boredom." He winks, and I can't help but smile. It's probably the first real smile I've shown in a while. I finish putting my stuff into my bag and hoist it over my shoulder.

"Thanks, Mr. Roscovic."

"You're welcome, Brianna. Don't forget your paper on genetics and Gift correlation is due next Monday." he calls as I walk towards the door

"Oh, was that for next week?" I finished it two days ago, and he probably already knows that.

He shakes his head; a fondness I've never seen directed at me other than by family members graces his once handsome face, now littered with wrinkles and dulled down by age. "Goodbye Miss Acero, enjoy your weekend."