41. We uncover the truth

"I was afraid you might find out eventually."

Christian is sitting in his usual spot, the worn leather chair seemingly his favorite place to hold a conversation. He has his hands folded in front of his lips and is watching us with a tortured expression.

"With all due respect sir, we would like you to tell us what happened. It may be crucial in finding out who the killer could be," I say.

Deep down I knew Christian knew about the MIMS, I just never thought he would keep such important information from his compound. He was probably doing it for our own good, but still, the reality of it kind of stings.

"It's a long and complicated story," He sighs, watching us warily.

"We have all day sir," Says Kalen, sitting in the chair across from him. Mara copies his motion, occupying the only other chair in the office, so I remain standing. Christian observes us before finally giving in, blowing out a frustrated sigh before he starts his story.

"What you have found out is true, President Khan did have a brother named Dominic, but most of what is known about him has been twisted or covered up by lies."

He pauses, opening his TekPad and going through some files before he lands on a picture. He turns it around, showing us a photograph of two young men. I recognize Christian instantly, even though he looks to be about five years younger in the picture. The man next to him I can only assume was Dominic Khan. The resemblance to his brother was uncanny, and if I hadn't known any better I could have been fooled into thinking they were twins. Both men were smiling, shaking hands with one another as the crowd behind them clapped.

"This was the day they named me director of Landa, and Dominic himself came down to congratulate me." He chuckles, and I wonder if he's remembering the day that picture was taken.

"Dominic and his brother may look the same, but personality-wise they were complete opposites. Dominic was outgoing, kind, and could make friends with anyone he met. He was also cunning, and persuasive. He could sell a rock to a rich man and convince him that the rock was gold. Marcus on the other hand, was none of this. The only reason he is our leader now is because he is the first-born son, and because his father adored him. Our previous president hated Dominic, for a very simple reason."

Christian puts away the TekPad, placing it in one of his drawers before he continues, expression serious.

"His mother died in childbirth, and his father, the only man in the world that knew of his Gift, blamed him for it. He didn't allow Dominic and his brother to come in contact, even though he made sure to try and turn Marcus against Dominic. The only good thing I think our president did was that he ignored his father's lies and developed a strong bond with his younger brother.  Dominic was forced to stay in his house at all times, never allowed to leave. It was a sad life for a child, and he grew up lonely and afraid of the world. His father made him out to be a monster, so when he finally decided to leave home, he was scared no one would ever love him. Until he met Hera, and everything changed. His Gift still remained hidden, the only other person who knew what it was, was Marcus himself, but he shared his deepest secret with her. It seemed that, whatever it was, must not have been as bad as our old President made it out to be, and soon he and Hera were married."

I smile, I love it when the little guys come out on top.

"He of course didn't mind that his brother got to take his father's place in the world. He just wanted to live a peaceful life. That's when tragedy started to descend upon his family. Just like his mother, Hera died in childbirth because of a mysterious illness, and Dominic was so distraught that he refused to touch his child when she was born. Not because he was mad at her or blamed her for his soulmates death, just as his father had done to him, but because he feared he would somehow cause her death as well. Luckily, the doctors proved to Dominic that his child was strong and healthy, and she grew into a beautiful and smart young girl. She and Diana were raised together, practically inseparable they were, always joined at the hip."