21. Quinn, the human battery

I try not to scoff at Jordan's words. That still doesn't excuse taking someone's Gift away!

What he's saying about the programs is wrong. I'm sure the council could do something to improve the system, the problem was nobody seemed to want to do anything. Our Gifts are a part of us, it's what makes us unique, it's what makes us us. I still didn't agree with what Jordan was saying, but we left the lab on a happier note when he told us about all the good things they had been creating, like new and improved chemo machines for hospitals. Cures for cancer had come a long way in the last decade, but there was always room for improvement, and new treatments were proving more effective every year. I know that cancer used to be a terrible disease that killed millions, but today it's about as threatening as the common cold. Of course, there can be those with more severe cases that need intensive care, but the deaths caused by cancer are so few and far between that it's no longer considered a terminal illness. Now, diseases like Hologra, caused by the constant exposure to radiation that many of our new technologies give off, are giving scientists and doctors a run for their money. Jordan told us that they've been making progress in finding a cure, but they are nowhere near their goal.

"So all of these new technologies, all of the discoveries you're making, I'm guessing you have to report them to the council?"

Jordan stops talking, and if it weren't for the slight stiffening of his shoulders, I would have thought nothing of his small pause, but he seems uncomfortable at my question.

"Not exactly," he says slowly, choosing his words carefully.

"But why not? Shouldn't the president know about everything you are doing here? The missions, the projects?"

Jordan doesn't say anything, instead, he seems rather interested in cleaning his glasses. He clears his throat and looks at me, but he doesn't even hold my stare for half a second before he's back to cleaning his already spotless lenses.

"Some things are better kept a secret from President Khan," he finally mumbles, placing his glasses on the bridge of his nose.

The way he said it made it sound like he feared the President. But that's ridiculous. The President is a good man. I think about all the good things he has done for our world and... come up with nothing. Other than creating new laws here and there or merging countries into a greater nation, President Khan hasn't done much else. I mean, I guess news from him was rare, his whole life was practically a secret, but that still didn't explain his lack of participation when it came to running the world he and his ancestors so desperately tried to create. Take his Gift, for example, no one, not even the members of the council, know what it is. Which could mean it's nothing worth knowing about, or it's extremely powerful. Even Diana's Gift is kept hidden, the only thing the public knows about her is that she's a Norm. Which is why she is so popular.

"Bri?"

I shake away my thoughts and focus on the present. Cassie is waving a hand in front of my face, trying to get my attention.

"You spaced out on me for a second there," she smiles, patting me on the shoulder. "Don't worry, this whole thing is overwhelming for me as well. But try and enjoy it! And look, Daniel is here." She gestures to the space behind her, and as I look over her shoulder, I spot a tall man, probably in his late thirties, making his way towards our group.

He isn't as muscular as some of the bodybuilders I've seen on TV, but his well-defined chest and biceps tell me he's still just as dangerous as any one of them, maybe more so. Tattoos decorate his arms, and his hair is cut short, military style. He reminds me of the kind of guy you try to avoid on the streets. He looks like he should belong to a gang.

I see more heads turning in his direction as trainees notice their mentor's presence, and we all form a circle around him when he eventually stops near the center of the room.