42. I meet my new best friend (detect the sarcasm?)

"Bri, do you have everything?" Calls Mara, sitting on the sofa in our shared living room.

Cassie and the boys have already headed out to the van, taking all the equipment and bags with them, where they are waiting for Mara and I. Although since Mara is also waiting for me, having finished packing the night before, technically they are all waiting on me since I'm the only one that isn't done yet. What can I say, I'm not good at time management.

Today's finally the day. We are officially going on our first mission. Cassie and I stayed up all night talking, too excited to go to sleep. Mara warned us that we would be exhausted in the morning, but we were too hyped up to listen. Now, at 6 am, I'm kind of regretting my decision. But Cassie, like the early bird that she is, was up without a problem.

I'm triple checking my pack, making sure I have everything. The last time I went anywhere I managed to forget to pack my pajamas and my toiletries. I do not want to repeat that experience.

I take my new gloves, a few knives and a stun gun, placing them all in my mission pack with the rest of the gadgets that are already in there: RII, little EMPs, but what we really need are the camo suits that Jordan gave us last minute. Now, when someone tells you camo suit you usually think different shades of green and brown on top of each other, but this suit is special. It turns into any attire for any occasion. You need a black gown for a black and white party? It will turn into one for you. A formal suit for a business meeting? Totally covered. Jordan and his team designed it specifically for missions like these. If we want to learn more about our dear President, we are going to need to get close to him, and that means we may have to lie a little. 

Before we get to our new base, we will head to the Krift compound to pick up the team that will be with us on this mission. Christian was able to make some phone calls and luckily the director was a friend, so her best team is going to assist us on the job.

I'm dressed casually today, in case we find ourselves in a situation where we need to fight or run. Just some black jeans and a red and black plaid shirt. Kalen made fun of me and said I looked like a lumberjack, but he shut up when I said he looked like a ninja. He's wearing all black, from the baseball cap on his head to the socks on his feet. It makes his eyes look even lighter, like those of a cat prowling around in the night. I tuck my red locks into a blue beanie, my favorite beanie, and grab my bags. I've packed extra sets of clothes and a few snacks, just in case. It's for everyone's good. You do not want to be around me when I am hungry and don't have food.

"Yeah, hold on a sec." I yell back.

I grab my great grandfather's journal, stuffing it into my mission pack with the rest of my weapons. I had been meaning to read through it some more but never got around to it. This week had been hectic. We trained nonstop with Daniel, and Alexa had us studying extra hard on politics and history, in case we ever needed to make conversation with anyone from the council. I know so much about the foreign trade market and the cost of shoes made in Russia that it all kind of blends together, and if anyone asked me one more time about Pilgrims, I was going to lose it.

"Alright, let's get this show on the road."

Trainees watch us as we leave, lining the hallway as if we're some sort of procession. I spot Sandra in the crowd, she and Liam had joined the same team, and she smiles at me as I walk by.

"Stay safe," she says, worry evident in her tone.

"Don't worry," I answer "we will."

No one knows what our task is, we've kept it a secret like Christian asked us to, but people know we are about to embark on our first mission. We head out of the compound and into the sunlight after not having been outside in what feels like forever, and when we leave the gate behind us a weird sense of freedom settles over me. I hadn't gotten to leave the compound once since I'd gotten here, and now, who knows when we will be back. I grab my TekPad and send my mom a quick text message, like I do every morning, but this time I tell her not to worry if she doesn't hear from me in a few days, that I'm working a job and I might not have time to call or text. Her answer, as always, comes in immediately.