51. I play tag with a rogue

I keep scanning the park, starting to lose hope, when suddenly I spot him, standing near a tree.

He's scowling now, talking on the phone. By the gestures he's making with his free hand I can guess he is pretty upset, but I can't make out what he's saying from here. Where is Mara when I need her?

 Mara! 

Still keeping an eye on Simon Says, making sure to be discreet and not get myself caught, I slip out my TekPad and put it next to my ear.

"Call Mara," I say, waiting for my friend to pick up. Simon Says is still talking, and by the way the conversation is going I give myself five minutes tops before he hangs up and moves on. Come on, come on. Pick up!

"Bri? What's u..."

I don't wait for her to finish her sentence before cutting in.

"Get to the Park, Simon Says is here."

She doesn't need to answer for me to know she's already grabbing everything and heading out the door. I can hear her talking to Kalen and Ash from the other end, voices muffled.

"Alright, hang tight Bri, we're on our way."

"Tell her not to do anything stupid." I hear Kalen shout from the background, and I feel my spirit lighten somewhat at his words. I hang up, just as Simon Says puts away his own phone and heads back to the area where the charity is taking place.

I send a quick text to Diana, letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding when she tells me she made it to the café.

I pocket my TekPad and follow Simon Says with my eyes, watching as he chats with parents like it's the most normal thing in the world. If only they knew who they were talking to.

I start to inch closer, not wanting to lose him for a second, when his eyes, covered by dark lenses, land on me. I try not to be too obvious as I freeze in place, turning my head to the side as I pretend to scan the crowd for someone.

I don't dare look in his direction, but eventually I slowly turn my head, feeling my heart sink when I find he is still watching me. He says something to the mother he had been talking to, and makes his way up the grassy hill, smile disappearing once he has turned away. I guess he recognized me then. 

Okay, time to go.

 I start walking backward, not wanting to turn around and give Simon a chance to jump me, but my progress is slow, and he is getting closer by the second.

I don't know whether I should take out my TekPad and send a call for help to the others, but I quickly stomp on the idea as soon as it pops into my head. There is no time, besides, all of my training should have been for something right?

I search my pockets, remembering the emergency equipment I had grabbed just a few hours earlier, after Kalen had insisted it wasn't a smart idea to go out unprotected. I send him silent thanks as my fingers curl around the cool metal cuffs that are inside one of my inner pockets.

Simon Says is still walking towards me, but this time I don't run. I start walking, keeping my head held high, and my footsteps steady as I get closer and closer to the man who has already escaped us once.

He is not escaping again.

He must notice my sudden change, because this time it's he who freezes. Oh, the irony. 

The scowl is still firmly plastered on his face, but I don't miss the way his hand twitches nervously at his side. I speed up, and that's when he starts running, going straight for the crowd of parents and children.

"Stop!" I yell, running after him. Obviously, he doesn't listen to me. What I would give to have his Gift right now.

He darts in between trees and people, not looking back once, nearly tripping on a discarded water bottle lying in the grass. I run faster, pushing my legs to the limit. I nearly have him, when he seems to remember he has a Gift worth using.