13. I get stopped by security

Maybe the red one would be better? No no, white is fine, it might look a bit more formal that way. Or maybe I should just go with the black? Black goes with everything.

I've never had trouble when it comes to getting dressed. My style usually consists of comfortable and casual clothes that I just threw on five minutes before heading to school. But today, I just can't decide what I want to wear. Initiation starts in six hours, four of which I will spending in Cassie's little banana car. She offered to drive us both, and I appreciated the gesture, seeing as my own car is still stuck at the repair shop after I had a friendly collision with a tree a few months back. But that means that I only have two hours to get ready, which would usually be more than enough time, but today is different, and I need all the time I can get.

So here I am, standing in front of my full-length mirror in my bunny pajamas, searching through the pile of clothes at my feet that had once been my entire closet.

I want to make a good impression on my first day, and wearing my usual baggy sweater and jeans just won't cut it. So, I choose a nice pair of fake leather pants and am currently debating whether I should wear the red blouse or the black one. After five minutes of just standing in front of the mirror I throw both shirts on the bed and head to my bathroom, deciding to choose which one I'm going to wear once I'm done in the shower. I take off my pajamas and step on to the cold tiled floor, letting the warm water run down my body in rivulets. Once I'm done, I dry off and put my hair into a towel turban, fishing through my drawers to find a brush.

One of the many inconveniences I find with curly hair is that you can't brush it unless it's wet. That is, unless you want to look like you just got zapped by lighting. I finish brushing out the tangles and look at myself in the mirror. My hair is a floppy mess and my hazel eyes are still red from sleep. Also, is that a pimple I see on my chin?

I sigh, "I hate mornings."

When I eventually emerge from the bathroom, feeling fresh and presentable after applying a little bit of makeup to give my face some color, I finally decide which shirt to wear. I end up choosing the black one, slipping it over my head, but not bothering to tuck it into my belt. I look at myself in the mirror, turning every which way until I'm satisfied with what I see. The outfit is simple enough, and the black shirt and pants really make my red hair stand out. Once I feel confident enough about my outfit, I head downstairs for some quick breakfast.

"Someone looks nice today," says mom from the couch, reading glasses on as she skims through her TekPad and takes small sips of her steaming cup of coffee.

"Who are we trying to impress? That boy from the other day? He was very cute."

"Mom," I laugh, "I'm not trying to impress anyone, especially not Kalen, I just wanted to look nice on my first day."

"Oh Kalen, that's a nice name."

"Mom stop it! It's just because I don't know what we're supposed to wear at the compound, and I thought cute but casual would be a safe bet."

Her smile seems to dip a little when she remembers where I'm going. I told her that I would be staying at the Elite compound while I was completing my training, but that I would come and visit her when they let us, probably during the holidays or our free days, if we had any. She took the news as well as could be expected. She teared up a bit, but told me that she understood and respected my decision, and proceeded to help me pack what little clothes and possessions I would take with me. She hugged me extra tight that night, her 'I love you' making something churn in my stomach.

This is the first time I'll be living away from home, and even though I'm excited, nerves still eat away at me when I think about what I'm about to do. It isn't like I wouldn't be leaving soon anyways, just one more year and I would be applying for university. I'd had it all planned out too. Where I was going to go, what I was going to study. Genetics, the secrets of our mutation, at MU. I had my future planned out, all of my ideas and dreams had been perfectly mapped out in front of me. But I try to shake them away and focus on the bright side, not the life I had been planning to live, instead getting to plan a new future for myself.