17. Jack attack

"The dining hall," says Mara, even though we already knew where it was, thanks to our tour with Kalen the day before.

We grab our food and find a table near the far end of the room, saying good morning to some of the faces I recognize from yesterday.

"It isn't opened all day, so make sure you aren't late, or you won't get to eat. You'll know the times once they give you your schedule."

The cafeteria is located on the west side of the compound, which happens to be where the medical bay and one of the test labs are. We hadn't had the pleasure of visiting the latter, the "keep out" sign on the door making it pretty obvious that visitors were not wanted.

"Once we're done with breakfast we will head to the barracks."

I frown as I drink my orange juice.

"Isn't that where we slept?"

Kalen shakes his head, taking a bite of his toast before he explains.

"That's the separate room used for new trainees. You enter the barracks once you have a team."

At the mention of being part of a team, my heart flutters. Does that mean they want us to join theirs? I inhale my bowl of cereal and finish my glass of orange juice in one gulp, regretting it when my stomach cramps uncomfortably. I wait for everyone else to finish and am the first one out the door when they finally put their trays away.

We make it to the door that leads to the east wing of the compound, where the barracks are, and Kalen presses his thumb against the panel on the wall to open it. Yesterday he told us that we would all get our fingerprints in the system to allow us access to the different areas of the Pentagon. I couldn't wait to go exploring on my own. It had been nice to have a guide, but I didn't want to have Kalen taking me everywhere. Besides, part of the thrill of wandering around was not knowing where you would end up.

"Barracks," mumbles Cassie, still thrown off by the name.

Mara reassured us that they weren't actual barracks, it's just what the trainees liked to call their dorms. She said it made them feel cool, which made me laugh.

I stare at the walls when the doors slide open.

"You coming or not?" asks Kalen when he sees me lagging. 

I blush, and Cassie bumps me in the shoulder as she rushes to catch up herself. This part of the compound is filled with pictures, both old and new, some dating back to 1960. I scan the different pictures, wincing when I get to photographs of the war. Which one, it's hard to tell, they were all more violent and bloody than the last. But the Third World War had been the one with most civilian deaths and, judging by the destruction of a city in the background, I'm guessing this is when the picture was taken. I see a man kneeling among his fallen comrades, wearing the colors of the European army. He stares defiantly at a soldier pointing his rifle at him, dirt and blood covering his face. I know what his fate is, he knows it, yet he stares down death with courage.

Next are pictures of the following wars, all leading up to the signing of the peace treaty, the creation of the council, and the first president stepping up to rule the world with a firm but kind hand. Next to him stands a boy, no older than fourteen. He becomes the man that stands before the podium in the next picture, swearing to rule with justice and compassion. I walk down the hall and reach the last two pictures, the first one of our current President, standing proudly next to his father who reigned before him. He stands with his head held high, and I'm about to move on when I notice another child standing next to the old president. Another boy, much younger, but the resemblance between the two is uncanny. Since when did president Khan have a brother? He is an only child, isn't he?

I look at the last picture, president Khan standing with his daughter Diana, and the boy from the previous photo is nowhere to be found.

Odd, maybe the kid was a distant family member. A cousin perhaps?

"Bri, come on!"

I snap out of my thoughts at Cassie's call and run to catch up to her and the group, who are standing at the entrance of the barracks, waiting for me. Again, Kalen scans his finger before we enter, and the doors open for us. This time, however, there are people on the other side, the barracks bustling with life.

I watch as people come in and out of rooms, friends hanging out as they wait for their new schedules.

"Well it didn't take you long to sink your claws in the new meat."

Jayson and Mara have gone ahead, so it's only Kalen, Cassie, and I while we stare at all the people. I spin around at the menacing tone, coming face to face with Jack.

"Looks like you did the same," counters Kalen, motioning to the girl behind him. She smiles at me, giving me a hesitant wave, and I smile back. It's not the girl's fault Jack seemed to take a liking to her as he leads her through the barracks. Jack comes to stand inches away from Kalen, staring him down. He snorts, lips lifting into a half-smile.

"I'm not surprised you chose the two weirdos of the bunch. Didn't you read the notes Alexa sent us?"

So that what she had been writing down. Information to give to the teams, so they knew what we were and whether we would fit in or not. I cross my arms, how annoying could this guy get?

"Yes." Kalen raises his eyebrows, as if he didn't understand why Alexa's notes were of any importance to him.

Jack scoffs, scowl replacing the smile

"Weirdos for the weirdos, how fitting."

"Who are you calling weirdo, punk?" Says Cassie, fire burning behind her emerald eyes. She looks up at Jack, not letting his appearance or noticeable height difference intimidate her, invading his personal space. Jack sneers, grabbing her under the chin.

"Sweetie, the adults are talking."

She jerks her head out of his grasp, rolling up the sleeves of her jacket, but Kalen interferes before she can take the swing and puts himself between the two.

"Leave, Jack, get back to your group."

Jack just laughs, turning around and giving us the middle finger over his shoulder.

"Come on Quinn," he demands. The poor girl had been staring at the exchange with shock written all over her face. I give her a small smile before she turns to follow. So that was Quinn Miller. What a pity, she seemed like a nice person. I hope Jack and his people don't turn her.

Guess mom was right when she said bullies were everywhere.