27. The girls go for a dip

Sweat runs down my forehead as I deliver blow after satisfying blow. The punching bag sways where it hangs, and I wait for it to rock forward, arms up in a defensive position like Daniel taught us, as I strike it over and over again. It's been two weeks since my vision, two weeks, and no sign that Simon Says is any closer to getting out of his cell. I keep thinking that maybe we did it, we stopped my vision from fulfilling itself. But how would we know? We couldn't be sure. And until someone, or something, told us otherwise, until we were certain that Simon Says wasn't a threat anymore, I would keep my guard up.

These past two weeks have been a whirlwind of activity.

Kalen kept his promise and has been helping me with my training during our free hours, while Mara helped Cassie. She is two punching bags over, panting and sweating as much as I am.

"Keep your arms higher," says Kalen, showing me what he wants me to do, putting his own arms in front of his face.

I mimic his position and start again, going through the routine he put together for me.

"Nice, nice! That's it!"

Eventually I get lost in the movements, forgetting everything that has been plaguing my mind these past few days, so that when Kalen hands me a towel twenty minutes later it feels like its barely been five. I stop and bend over, catching my breath after our intensive training session and take the towel gratefully, wiping the sweat off my face.

"I think I'm done for today!" says Cassie, and I glance over to find her sprawled on the floor like a starfish. Mara is also handing her a towel and a bottle of water, a proud look on her face.

"You guys have gotten so much better these past two weeks."

Kalen nods in agreement, and I feel my cheeks flush as he sends an actual smile my way.

"You're doing good," he says, and the rare compliment has my heart doing weird flip flops. I don't know why it does that, when Jayson compliments me I don't feel as if butterflies were flying around in my stomach. It must be the workout, that's why it's beating faster than usual, that's all.

"Well," I say, bending over to grab the blue jacket I had discarded at the beginning of our session "We should probably be heading to class."

"Class? Really Bri, you should have learned our schedule by now," pants Cassie, still laying on her back.

"It's our free day, remember?" Says Mara, as she comes over to where Kalen is helping me put away our gear.

"We have the rest of the afternoon off."

Oh right, Friday's were free days! I kept forgetting about that. I usually spent them in extra training with Daniel or just reading a book in our room. But I had finished my latest book, one that left me a bit dead on the inside if I'm honest. I mean, how could she fall in love with the prince? It was obvious that she and the royal guard were made for each other! And then he had to go and die! Just thinking about it again makes me want to cry. I guess that means that I have nothing to do, I've had enough training for one day, and I'm not ready to pick up another book just yet.

Kalen watches me out of the corner of his eye as I debate with myself about what I should do with my day, and I think I see the corners of his mouth turn upwards in a fond smile. But it's only for a split second, so I could have just imagined it.

Cassie decides she's done laying on the floor and pushes herself upwards with a groan, stretching out her back and sighing when she hears a satisfying 'pop'. She comes to join the rest of us, and we just stand in a circle, a comfortable silence enveloping the room.

"Well," says Kalen, being the first one to speak, "I think I'm going to enjoy my afternoon and watch some TV back at the dorm, so if you need me," I pretend not to notice how his eyes linger on me, but the little smirk Mara sends my way is proof that I wasn't the only one to notice. "You know where to find me."