9. Broken glass, floating beds and fire fingers

"I think you broke her."

"Oh shut up Kalen!"

"Wait, are we talking about Thomas Acero's daughter? This is her? Why am I always the last one to know about this stuff!"

I hear none of this as I stare blankly at the wall.

Dad could see the future.

I had been trying to come up with a theory to explain all the crazy things that have been going on, why I was seeing all these flashes, and I had gotten to something similar to this, but I never thought it would actually be true. It's too crazy to be true.

"So you think that I've inherited my father's Gift?" I ask, finally breaking out of my stupor.

I'm pretty sure I'm having a conniption fit. But Mara nods, a hopeful twinkle in her eyes.

"That's what it looks like doesn't it?" she says.

But that doesn't make sense. Even if I inherited dad's Gift, why didn't it present itself sooner? Why now?

Kalen must see my confused expression and grunts as he sits up on the bed, twisting his body to face me completely.

"We don't know anything else," he says, "that's up to Christian to tell you, so once he's done with whatever it is his meeting is about, we will take you to him. But for now, you have to wait a little while longer."

Can I wait for a few minutes after I've had to wait for these answers my entire life? I wring my hands together nervously. I've never been a patient person, but I think I can manage.

"Alright."

He lays back down and shuts his eyes, Jayson looking thoughtful beside him.

"I bet the meeting is about the rise in criminal activity lately, we haven't had someone like Simon Says on the streets for a while now," says the blond, leaning back to rest against the wall.

Mara hums in agreement as she plays with a strand of her short hair, probably thinking about what Jayson said now that the important stuff is out of the way. Sitting this close to her, I can study her features a bit more.

She's definitely pretty, with very striking features that stand out in a crowd. She has tan skin and dark brown eyes, with high cheekbones and a tall nose. Her hair is shorter than mine, and so dark it almost looks black. She's shorter than me too, not as short as Cassie, but she looks tiny compared to Kalen or Jayson.

"So, you've been here since you got your Gift?" I ask, trying to break the silence, and she looks up at me gratefully, happy to have a new topic of conversation. She nods, so I take that as an invitation to continue.

"What is your Gift exactly?".

"Oh," her eyes widen a bit, and she licks her lips nervously. "Well it's a bit complicated, but to put it simply, I can manipulate sound. Or well, sound waves I guess."

So, I was right! She had modified her voice when we first met, to make it louder than it was, acting like a megaphone. That is pretty cool. But in such dangerous situations I really can't see how that's a useful Gift. She must sense what I'm thinking, because she gives me a knowing look.

"You wouldn't be the first to ask me how my Gift helps when we are out on a mission," she starts "and I guess it's hard to understand unless you've seen what I can do firsthand."

She gets up and I do the same, curious to see what she's about to show me.

She picks up one of the glasses that are on the little table near the single bed, and places one hand over the rim and the other one underneath it.