32. Kalen's such a hot-head, literally

"That's it, aim for the abdomen. We don't want to kill, but we don't want them to be able to keep coming after you."

I watch as Kalen trains with Daniel, throwing dagger after dagger at the target in front of him. Jack's team set out four days ago on their mission, and there has been no word from them since. We are all still mad about the board's decision to have them go instead of us, but we are using our time wisely and getting in as much training as possible.

Mara is practicing with another noble year, staffs clashing as they duel on the mat. My friend twirls the metal rod over her head before bringing it down towards the boy she is facing, who holds up his own to parry her attack. She jumps back, holding the staff protectively in front of herself before she rushes at him again, metal clashing against metal in an intricate dance.

Jayson, like Kalen, is also using the dummies as target practice, as he fires bullet after bullet, always hitting the dummy where he aims for. Chest, shoulder, abdomen, forehead. It's a rapid-fire succession of shots that my eyes have trouble keeping up with.

Cassie won't be training with us today, after she took a nasty hit to the head yesterday while she sparred against one of the Muscles. She complained all the way to the medical wing about how she was fine, and that she could still go back and beat the girl's ass. Her concussion said otherwise. So today she had been given the day off, a time she was using to rest back at the dorm, watching shows in bed.

And then there is Kalen.

He has been taking training more seriously than all of us. He is up every morning before class and every afternoon you can find him at the training rooms, spending every second he can get with Daniel. He is still helping me with my training, so on rare occasions like this one, I decided to stop by and help him out with his. Okay, maybe not super rare. Like, every other day probably...or more... whatever! My point is I try to help as best as I can. I usually wait until he's done with weapons training, and then we spar. It's good practice for both of us. I already had a chance to test out my new gloves, and boy were they handy. I nearly broke Quinn's nose the last time we dueled, before she and her new team headed off on their mission. I don't know how I felt about her being on Jacks's team, but I guess I couldn't blame her for wanting to be one of the best. She is still nice, and I like her, so that's all that matters.

I watch as Jayson and Mara finish their training, and they wave at me as they head out of the hall together. I don't comment on how close they're standing, or the way their hands seem to brush every time they move.

It's just a few minutes after they leave that Daniel decides weapon training with Kalen is over for today.

"Alright, I think that's all." Daniel claps Kalen on the back, helping him collect his daggers and putting them back in his bag. He walks out of the training room, probably to have a break of his own, waving to me as he goes.

"Back today miss Acero?"

"You know me, I can always use a bit more time to work off some energy."

He laughs, rolling his eyes skyward as he disappears through the door. It closes with a loud 'boom', echoing in the now almost empty room. Kalen and I are completely alone today, usually more trainees are practicing or hanging out by the mat. It looks like everyone wanted to take a break. I try not to dwell too much on the fact that we have the room completely to ourselves, but my heart still does that weird flop it does when he looks at me. I'm starting to think it's not because of stress.

"You ready Steel."

I roll my eyes. Ever since I told him what my last name meant he wouldn't stop calling me that. I told him it annoyed me; I would never admit that I kind of liked it.