Chapter 24

I stood in front of the mirror in Chrollo's walk-in closet, staring, analyzing my appearance. My bottom lip jutted out in frustration, and I reached up to adjust the small messy bun on top of my head, pulling down a few strands of hair around my forehead and ears—I'd gone with a half-up, half-down style and mussed the hanging locks at the back of my neck to achieve the "sex" look Machi had been talking about. My face looked mildly tired, but I suppose that was probably a good thing; I liked the way it hollowed my eyes and made them look slightly bigger, since they still felt a bit puffy from crying earlier.

To be honest, it felt strange to look at the beautiful woman in the mirror—she seemed confident, sure of herself. The black dress hugged all the right places on my waist, and surprisingly, I liked the way it made my ass look. With the fishnet tights and platform combat boots, my legs seemed long and shadowed salaciously, and the loose mesh sleeves hung daintily from my arms. The deep v-line cut over my breasts just temptingly enough, and to my relief, any scars which I feared might have been showing were covered—the plunging neck wasn't too low.

With Machi's advice, I'd decided not to wear a bra. The only undergarments I wore were the tights and a satiny, strappy pair of panties. I bit my lip in anticipation, lips which were slightly swollen from my own worry. Was I doing too much? My hands grasped at the hem of the short dress and pulled it down slightly in an attempt to cover more of my legs. I knew it was cold outside, and I'd never been out in public before wearing less than pants—I felt sort of exposed.

I'm a grown woman now. Nobody can control what I wear, I reminded myself inwardly.

Inhaling a deep, calming breath, and then releasing it slowly, I nodded once, firm and final. Out of a nervous habit, I adjusted my hair again, making eye contact with my reflection. My phone buzzed from where I'd placed it above the clothing rack, and I grabbed it, seeing another message from Machi.

"What time are you leaving?"

I pursed my lips and responded.

"Whenever Chrollo decides to wonder what's taking me so long. Probably five minutes haha."

I stared at the screen as the three dots signifying her answer appeared.

"Perfect. Feitan gave me the address, so I'm gonna drop off some of my favorite Nen-infused chains. I'll leave them by the front door. Use them ;)"

I blinked at the message and felt my stomach flutter at the idea. My thumbs shook slightly as I scrambled to type out another text.

"Wait, what?! Why Nen-infused? What if I don't know how to use them?"

Machi: "Stop worrying, be confident, girl. Nen-infused so he can't break them; there's cuffs for his wrists and the end wraps around the bed posts and clasps to itself."

"I'll put them in a gift box. Trust yourself and have fun, sweets."

My heartbeat increased. There were posts on the headboard I could link the chains to—part of me had a hard time believing he wouldn't be able to rip himself free, but I suppose even if he did, that would still make for an interesting turn of events. I'd need to think of a way to keep him distracted when we returned, though—I didn't want him seeing the box before I could bring it in. Perhaps I would be able to lead him inside and upstairs and find some way to go back and get it.

Quickly, I thanked Machi and turned back to the rack of clothes, picking through them absently and looking for a suitable blazer or coat of some sort. I picked out one of Chrollo's nicer black jackets and threw it over my shoulders, shoving my phone in the pocket and once more analyzing my appearance. The addition actually matched quite well and made me look much classier. I suppressed a smirk.