Chapter 18

I stared back at Chrollo with frightened eyes, my heart still beating wildly and my chest rising and falling raggedly. My thoughts were still tainted by fear, but after hearing his voice again, the only thing I wanted to do was run to his arms—Phinks' bear-grip was still around my wrists behind my back, though, the hand that had dropped from my mouth now linking together with the other and keeping me held in place.

He opened his mouth in a stammering reply, his gruff voice sounding flustered and doubtful now. "B-but she—you don't understand, we saw her—!"

"Phinks, the boss said—let her go. Now." Feitan interrupted him emotionlessly, and out of the corner of my eyes, I could tell that he was looking at me.

A few more moments passed—I never broke eye contact with Chrollo; his furious eyes were still trained on me. Beneath that, though, I could see genuine worry and anxiety, while his energy protruded a sort of cold, collected exterior, one that spoke leadership. I desperately wanted to be near him.

Finally, Phinks released me roughly, huffing as he did so and shoving me just barely. I didn't care; I almost tripped over my own feet as I shot forward and raced across the room, climbing over the bed. Crashing into his chest, I wrapped my arms around him as tightly as possible and breathed in his familiar musky lavender scent, inhaling shakily and deeply. Tears streamed from my eyes, which were forcefully shut, my brows furrowed over them. I felt him lower a little bit as his arms wound around me, clutching me securely to his body and resting his chin on the top of my head.

I didn't even think about Feitan or Phinks watching me at this point—I was safe. I was protected and empowered and reminded of my own strength in Chrollo's grasp. My hands balled into fists between his shoulder blades.

I love you so much. I love you so much. I love you so much.

"Try to get everyone gathered at our old hideout on January twentieth." Chrollo's voice sounded above my head, once again commanding and final and still seethingly angry. "Perhaps a few of you should scout it out first to be sure that it's safe. I have a few announcements to make, but it isn't imperative that absolutely everyone be present."

There was silence again. I couldn't see their expressions when Feitan spoke.

"Will it have to do with her?" he asked, still sounding monotone but only slightly curious.

I felt Chrollo's arms around me tense and tighten. His jaw flexed above my head.

"Get. Out." he growled lowly, each word separate and threatening. "That's an order."

There were no other words exchanged, but I heard the almost completely and utterly quiet footsteps from them as they left the room quickly, more from Phinks than from Feitan. I buried my head in the base of Chrollo's neck, frozen in place against his comforting touch. He didn't say anything to me immediately, either—he just held me gently, his palms making soothing circles on my backside as my breathing slowly calmed down and became steadier, more even. Eventually, I heard the front door shut faintly and the lingering anxiety I'd still felt dissipated along with their presences.

We stayed like that for quite a while, me kneeling on the bed and Chrollo standing, his arms clutching me to his body tightly, but also delicately as I wrapped my arms around him in return. Only the sound of our heartbeats together broke the ringing silence. The memories I'd been sent into had been painful and terrifying, but any remnants of them faded a little more each time I breathed in against his skin, inhaling his beautiful scent. I felt one of his hands raise from where they were placed towards the small of my back and move up to my hair, stroking his long fingers through the (h/c) locks lightly. I sighed.