Chapter 51

‼️CONTENT WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS GORE‼️

For some reason, I wasn't exactly surprised to see her there. According to what she'd told me after cornering me in the bathroom at that coffee shop, she ran with a few black market circles. But she wasn't a Nen user—the audacity she must've held to carry such pride after being at such a clear disadvantage from me was galling, and infuriating. In fact, I didn't even want to call this obnoxious woman confident—she was more like a bad combination of blissfully ignorant and attention-seeking.

But why did she have to be here? Tonight?

The way she strutted towards us across the wide, buzzing room was nothing short of repulsive. Even though I knew she was probably staring directly at Chrollo, I kept my biting glare on her face, leaning down and nuzzling in his neck, keeping my palm on his bare abdomen, never breaking my line of sight. I felt him shift slightly, his first hand sliding infinitesimally higher up my thigh and sending a stutter to my heartbeat, before he grazed his fingers over my jaw, coaxing my head up to find his hooded eyes.

"Is everything alright, my love?" he inquired softly, his lips barely brushing mine as he spoke. "You seem agitated."

I opened my mouth to speak, but Cadence was getting closer—I could almost hear her clacking footsteps on the floors over the distant bumping music and the loud conversations around us. Chrollo raised an eyebrow, curious.

Think. Do something.

My mind froze for a split second, but my body took over instantly as I lifted one hand to place it on his jaw, the other still in place on his abdomen beneath the seam of the cropped shirt, bringing his head down and crushing my lips to his. I felt him smile into my mouth, his grasp on my thigh tensing, and his hold at the back of my neck constricted, forcing my face to tilt up and deepen the kiss. His tongue traced my bottom lip and clashed with mine—I could hardly breathe against the tightening of the choker around my throat.

Adrenalin made my heart roar in my ears, but I was also hyperaware of Chrollo's hand right at the hem of my skirt. I almost forgot about Cadence for a moment, but as soon as I remembered her, I could hardly keep the smirk away from my expression. The kiss slowed, and I pulled away, looking only up into his heated gaze, which was bordered by a knowing mischief—he was definitely aware of Cadence standing right next to our table.

I drew out my turning to face her; I didn't want to see her. Half of me hoped that maybe she'd decided to go bother someone else, but as soon as my eyes left Chrollo's, they met her over-exaggerated, salacious stance. My teeth gritted together again—she was leaning on both palms over the table, her little blue dress hanging low and purposefully exposing nearly all of her breasts. But this time, her gaze wasn't focused on Chrollo; this time, she was staring at me, an irritated shock underlying her facade of smugness—she'd seen us kiss.

Lay a hand on him. I fucking dare you.

She was silent for a few moments, a smirk on her face which was quickly falling away. I allowed a sweet smile to paint my lips, widening my eyes and appearing as innocent as possible. Chrollo's head turned towards her, as well, his expression entirely deadpan as he leaned back in the booth, hitching me up higher on his lap.

Finally, her mouth opened.

"Hey," she whined in her nasally voice, her line of sight directing towards him again. "I didn't think you would be here tonight—no wrap for the tattoo, pretty face?"

Right. She knows he's the leader of the Troupe. And Chrollo knows that she knows.

Unfiltered hatred seethed in my thoughts, spitting poison and venom at her, and for a moment, I almost wished I would have killed her in the bathroom at that coffee shop. But Chrollo remained unperturbed, unbothered, none of his limbs tensing or restricting—I slid my arm around his neck, holding my glare on the seemingly unaware blonde, tracing my fingers lightly over the exposed plains of muscle.