Chapter 31

*TW: GORE AND MENTIONS OF PAST SEXUAL ABUSE*

*Chrollo POV*

The night air was still and placant as I approached a back door to one of the few two-story homes in the area. My gaze flickered around the dimly lit gravel path as I spotted Nobunaga and Franklin, frozen in what looked like laughter as they tried to stay as quiet as possible. I might have found it curiously amusing if the circumstances were any different.

More often than not, back doors were unlocked—I didn't want to bother with breaking in, and because of Acheros' ability, I could get inside quite easily and not have to worry about staying in the shadows. If it wasn't unlocked, though, there was a Transmuter ability I'd collected not more than a year ago which could form into the shape of any key necessary, but it would be better if I could find a way in while using invisibility. Of course, I could only use one ability at a time, a treacherous restriction.

I wonder if I could find a way around that somehow, I mused to myself as I tested the handle on the back french doors.

It opened immediately. Part of me wasn't surprised; I was sure none of these despicable humans ever had visitors.

Again, I was cautious, staying as quiet as possible and closing the door slowly. The floors in this home were a shaggy carpet—I'd entered into a sort of computer area, but I could hear voices somewhere to the right, down a short hallway which looked as though it led into the lounge. Absently, I checked for any items which might be worth stealing. I could sell them for money; I wasn't interested in keeping anything from this hell.

Instead of going after the residents to begin with, I decided to look through the house, and I turned left, traipsing slowly through the kitchen but coming up with nothing of interest. In the dining room, I recognized a candelabra constructed in a very specific way, pointing towards ancient architectural backgrounds. There were no candles placed inside—it looked like a piece of decoration, almost. Curiously, I picked it up and examined the base of it, noting that it was slightly eroded, made of fossilized wood and stone, embedded with an assortment of precious metals. I immediately placed the style of the civilization this must have been based off of, or perhaps it was an original—either way, I would need to remind myself to come back for it.

The best part about Acheros' ability was the way I could choose whatever I wished to shroud, meaning as long as I consciously remembered, I could keep anything I touched invisible. Obviously, though, that would mean an extra energy expense, so unless I was holding something, I didn't bother trying to keep it out of sight. It would help with stealing what I found to be to my liking.

The voices of two men became clearer as I passed through the living room, eyeing them with mild interest—one with dark, curly hair and a burly body, the other being leaner and taller, his face gaunt and middle-aged. They were rambling on about something I didn't care about paying any mind to yet, so I continued on through the house, ambling down a wide corridor to a set of large, wooden stairs. On the walls, enormous, original paintings hung in various places, their tones being abstract and far too bright for my enjoyment, but it looked like something (Y/n) might appreciate.

Although, I doubt she would want anything from this place.

I wondered how many of these bastards had been killed already; Nobunaga and Franklin looked as though they were having a good time, at least. With a soft smile, I headed up the stairs and turned into the first doorway on the right, entering a large study. In the center, there was an expensive-cut mahogany desk, a few books and papers strewn haphazardly overtop. That wasn't what drew my gaze immediately, however—on the left side, in a tall glass cylinder filled with some sort of preservation liquid, floated a single, glaring pair of the Scarlet Eyes.