Ch135 - The A-team

"Liz has never told you guys, huh?" Jaylah commented, breaking the silence that had fallen upon us. "She's never told you what really happened when she was gone those months."

"And you know?"

"Yes, I do."

"How?"

"I had to do some missions in which I heard about this girl. Apparently Gerrit had struck a good deal and all he needed to do was pull some strings for her to come back here, in America. But things didn't went quite as he'd expected it to go. One day Gerrit lost it. He told me that I had to follow her but should be aware of her at all times. He said that she could easily kill me."

When neither me or Peter said anything she continued. "You guys do know that it was bad right?"

"Of course. When she came back she looked like a walking corpse."

"No that was just the malnourishment." Jaylah said while shaking her head. "No I'm not talking about the physical scars that most likely healed, I'm talking about the scars you can't see."

"What do you mean?" 

Jaylah stared at me as if I already should know the answer. I probably did know the answer but I didn't wanted it to be true. Unfortunately Jaylah confirmed my thoughts as she said: "She's been tortured. That fucks someone up not only physically but also mentally. It wouldn't even surprise me if she's traumatized."

"Define tortured." Peter said as he folded his hands.

"The legal definition of torture. I'm talking about keeping her awake for days without pause, being whipped by an iron chain until her back was bleeding, being held underwater until she was about to pass out from the lack of oxygen. I'm talking about legit torture."

"Jesus..." I mumbled as I thought about Liz in any of those situations. "Why wouldn't she talk to someone about it?"

"She's probably scared-"

"Liz is never scared." Peter stated.

"Everyone gets scared." Jaylah resumed after giving Peter a small glare. "It's not uncommon for a victim to stay quiet about it."

"Still, she shouldn't have to live with those facts alone." I mumbled. "Why does she always end up in dangerous situations?" I growled uncomfortable.

"If all of the stories I heard are true, you shouldn't worry." Jaylah said with a comforting nod. "If she's survived two months of that, she'll survive this one mission too."

=---=---=---=

I groaned out in pain as electric shots of pain shot up my arm. I tried my best to focus on my enemies but the intensity of the pain didn't make it easy.

With some luck I elbowed the professional guy in his ribs. He gasped and stepped back. While he was distracted I managed to dodge the fist of the other guy.

With all the strength I could muster I managed to get claws on my left hand and lashed out at the big guy's throat. 

Unfortunately he'd recovered sooner than I'd thought and managed to dodge slightly. Instead of wounding him fatally, I got some scratches on his chest.

Behind me I heard the professional step towards me. With pure luck I stepped aside causing him to stumble and punch his friend's chest instead of my head. The guy groaned in pain as his cuts now started to bleed more.

I made myself small and tried to escape. I raked my claws against their stomachs as I tried to dash from in between them. I heard the big guy groan in pain but the other one kept quiet. Before I was in the clear and could have the upper hand again, I felt two arms around my waist pulling me back.