NO BODY, NO CRIME

"They think she did it but they just can't prove it"

*               *               *

 "Look at Dimples," Derek smiled. "Why are you dressed up so fancy today?"

   Bella shrugged and smiled, "I don't know. Maybe it's because Hotch and Spencer are back today, or because I just found out that my friend Gianna is pregnant, or because I have damn jury duty today." 

   Derek frowned, "Yikes, I hate jury duty."

   "Tell me about it. They're accusing a woman of murdering her brother-in-law even though there's no body and no evidence to prove he's even dead. They're accusing this woman based on theories. What a waste of everyone's time."

   "Can't you get out of it? You're an FBI agent, don't they think that's a little biased?"

   Bella shook her head, "Trust me, I already tried. They don't care that I'm an agent, they think it'll actually make this trial go by quicker."

   Out of the corner of her eye, Bella saw Spencer reaching for the box of cookies she brought for Hotch. Hastily, she reached over and slapped his hand away causing the doctor's mouth to drop open in shock.

   "I get shot in the knee and I can't even have a cookie?" Spencer pouted. 

   "Hotch was stabbed 9 times," Bella said softly, picking up the box of the warm chocolate chip cookies. "Plus, have you forgotten the countless blueberry pies I made you?"

   Spencer frowned, "Fair enough."

   With a wink, Bella pecked Spencer on the cheek before waving goodbye to Derek. She quickly bounded up the steps towards Hotch's office, ignoring the dull ache in her feet from the heels she was wearing. Her pencil skirt hugged her tightly, Bella feeling herself being to sweat within her blazer. Reaching Hotch's door, she knocked on it lightly, soon hearing a dull 'it's open' from inside.  

   Slowly opening the door, Bella's eyes set on her glum boss sitting at his desk. His eyes were dark with bags underneath, a light five o'clock shadow on his face. He looked up from his desk, a faint grin splashing across his face. With a bright smile, Bella held out the box of cookies.

   "Surprise!" Bella cheered. "Welcome back!"

   "Thank you," Hotch grinned as Bella set down the cookies on his desk. "Did you make these yourself?"

   "Yes...I tend to bake a lot to relieve stress. Plus, everyone gets cheered up by cookies. It's just...it's so good to have you back, Aaron. I've missed you...we-we've missed you." 

   "It feels good to be back. I've missed you all as well."

   Giving a crooked smile, Bella approached his desk closer, "How...how are you doing? Are you feeling ok?"