RAINBOW

"That there's always been a rainbow hangin' over your head"

*                 *                *

Spencer Reid was never one for celebrating his birthday. He usually kept it quiet, never boasting about plans or mentioning to everyone he came across that it was his birthday. For the past 6 years he was used to coming into work and getting a 'happy birthday' from his co-workers, but nothing else. Occasionally they'd bring in a cake, but Spencer always hated making a big fuss about it.  

   Each year Bella would try to do something nice for him, either making a cake herself or giving him a small present. She always tried to get him excited for his birthday, but Spencer never understood why. Even when he was a kid, he never looked forward to his birthday. Each birthday he spent alone, his mother usually always forgetting that it was his birthday. He could barely remember one birthday that genuinely made him happy. 

   This year felt different and Bella was determined to make it different. It was Spencer's 28th birthday, the first birthday he and Bella were officially together. Bella wanted to make this birthday special. She wanted Spencer to finally have a happy birthday, one he would remember for the rest of his life. She knew that Spencer wasn't a materialistic man, he never cared about getting huge or expensive gifts. The greatest gift to him was spending time with people he loved. The greatest gift was spending time with Bella.

   Picking up a box of eggs, Bella set it inside her shopping basket. She hummed quietly to herself and scanned over her basket, looking over everything she got. Milk, flour, eggs, cream cheese, and purple food dye. Turning on her heel, Bella gasped as she bumped into a taller man with a larger gut.

   "I'm sorry!" Bella exclaimed. "I wasn't paying attent-"

   Looking up, Bella felt all the air in her lungs begin to leave. Her eyes widened as she stepped backward, not knowing what to feel or how to react. She felt as if the world abruptly halted, making everyone around her freeze in place.

   "Bella!" Doug exclaimed, a bright smile spreading across his face. "Fancy seeing you here!"

   "Doug," Bella managed to push out. "What-what are you doing...what are you doing here?" 

   Holding up a bottle of Pepsi, Doug chuckled, "I'm shopping."

   With a frown, Bella took another step back, "No, what are you doing HERE? I don't know if you know but you're in Washington D.C. You don't live here and you don't work here. So, what are you doing here?"

   "Just wanted to visit an old friend I guess," Doug said with a slight shrug. "I didn't mean to startle you. I've always wanted to visit D.C. and you living here just gives me another reason to visit. I honestly didn't know you were going to be here, I was actually planning on calling you tonight to see if you wanted to grab dinner tonight."