I DON'T WANT TO SET THE WORLD ON FIRE

"I just want to be the one you love"

Episode: Compulsion (Season 1, Episode 2)

*               *               *

Bella bit her pen, the pile of paperwork on her desk taunting her. She took a sip of her tea, her red painted nails blending in with the color of her mug. She would kill for all of this paperwork to disappear. It was starting to give her a headache.

She groaned and rubbed her temples, earning a chuckle from Morgan.

"It only gets worse," Morgan said with a laugh, earning a sigh from Bella.

Bella shrugged with a giggle, picking up the stack of papers, "It just seems infinite, no matter how much I get done the stack never gets shorter."

"Question!" Elle suddenly yelled out to the team. "Why did the Footpath Killer stutter?

Morgan shook his head, "We've all asked Gideon, he won't tell us. He wants us to figure it out."

Bella continued to chew on her pen, thinking about the question over and over again. It was also a mystery to her how Gideon knew why the Footpath Killer stuttered. She thought of 100 different reasons why, but they all didn't sit well with her. Thinking about this all day could distract her from her paperwork. So that was exactly what she was going to do.

Elle nodded and took a sip of water, "Ok! I'm up for a challenge."

Before Morgan could respond, Hotch made his way across the room, "BAU team, can you meet me in the conference room, please? I need to show you something."

The team got up hastily, making their way into the conference room. They were met with new case files, provided by JJ. Bella plopped down, immediately burying itself inside the file. She looked over at Spencer next to her, seeing he was doing the same.

"Who recorded this?" Gideon asked.

"A student with a digital camcorder," JJ answered. "He was watching a fire in the building across from their dorm. The other person you'll see is his roomate, 20-year-old Matthew Rowland."

JJ turned on the video, the room filling itself with tension. They watched as the video showed a young college student catch on fire and burn. Bella cringed and averted her eyes, the video making her heart feel heavy.

"There are two common stressors for serial arsonists," Spencer began.

"Loss of job and loss of love," Bella finished for him. "When was the first fire set?"

"March," Hotch said. "The next was in May and the third one wasn't till September. Then two weeks later there were three in one night."

Spencer shook his head, "82% of arsonists are white males between the ages of 17 and 27. Female arsonists are far less likely, their motice typically being revenge."