CLOSING TIME

"every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end"

*               *               *

 Aurora made her way around the graduation party with a glowing smile. She hugged her friends and kissed family members on the cheek. She passed by the snack table and shoved a large strawberry into her mouth before greeting more guests. 

   "She's been looking forward to this party all week," Alice snickered. "I think she was more excited for this than actually graduating." 

   "That's Rory alright," Charlotte said, taking a sip of a bubbly champagne. "She insisted on hiring The Backstreet Boys to come and perform, but I had to explain to her that it clearly wasn't in our budget."

   Bella shook her head and giggled, pouring herself a glass of lemonade. Gianna and Hyacinth suddenly came from around the corner, giving Aurora a hug and handing her two large cards. The two girls spotted Bella and came sprinting over, smothering her with hugs and compliments. 

   "You look amazing, Bells," Hyacinth said, smoothing out Bella's hair. "I like you better as a single woman, your skin looks healthier."

   "Uh...thank you?" Bella grinned. "I feel a lot better, that's for sure. I almost ruined my entire life."

   "I'm happy for you. You're a badass and made the right decision. He's getting what he deserves in prison right now." 

   "Thanks, Cinth. Anyways, enough about me, you need to see Phoebe's ring!" 

   Phoebe smiled and held up her ring finger, showing off the sparkly ring on her finger. Hyacinth gasped and grabbed her hand, examining the ring closer. Gianna jumped up and down while clapping, the joy in her face highly noticeable.

   "How did Finn propose to you?" Gianna asked. 

   "We went out to dinner and he popped the question," Phoebe swooned. "I want a fall wedding, so I think we're going to have it next year."

   "Oh I just love fall weddings!"

   Aurora skipped over and threw her arm around Charlotte's shoulders, pulling her into a tight side hug. Bella quickly finished her glass of lemonade as Phoebe continued to stare down at her ring, fantasizing about what her wedding dress was going to look like. 

   "What college are you going to, Rory?" Hyacinth asked, grabbing a cupcake and biting into it. 

   "St Lawrence University," Aurora beamed. "I'm majoring in journalism and minoring in English." 

   Alice ran her hand over her shaved head, something the girls still weren't used to, "The price of the school isn't something I'm too excited about, but I want Rory to have the best."

   Aurora kissed Alice on the cheek and hugged her tightly. Bella smiled at the two, taking a look at her entire family. It still stunned her that they were all grown up, either with careers or in college. To her, they were still young children spending their summers in Canada and eating cotton candy until their stomachs hurt. She remembered when her mother had the same long blonde hair that she did. It broke her heart to see her mother part with it. 

   Throughout her entire childhood, one of Bella's biggest fears was growing up. Starting college at a young age didn't help sooth this fear. She longed to stay young and live with her family forever. Although it had been almost an entire year since she started at the BAU, Bella still didn't feel ready to be an adult. 

   Being on her own made Bella realize that she was incredibly capable of being independent and on her own. Typically her apartment was filled with Owen's loud voice or his friends drinking. Now, she was able to sleep peacefully. There wasn't any snoring waking her up or the pungent smell of liquor in the air. Bella actually enjoyed living alone. Sometimes.

   Coming home to Alexandria Bay was Bella's source of happiness. She didn't care that it was a small town with an even smaller population, she didn't care that the winters there brutal, and she didn't care that there was absolutely nothing to do there. It was her home, and she loved it with her entire heart. Leaving it was one of her biggest heartbreaks.  

   "College is quite the experience," Phoebe said. "It's not always the most pleasant." 

   "Mhm," Bella agreed. "Just please be careful and don't go anywhere alone."

   Aurora nodded and grinned, "College for me is going to be different than when you two went to college. Phoebe you graduated at 14 and Bella you were 11, being a child in college doesn't sound that fun."

   "Still," Bella continued. "You have to be careful in college, I've seen enough crime scenes and dead bodies to know that." 

   With a sad smirk, Aurora hugged Bella and kissed her on the cheek. She rested her head on Bella's shoulder and held her in a side hug. Aurora found that she was also nervous to go to college. College means that you are starting to build your future and start your own life. Does anyone really know what they want to do for the rest of their life?

*                      *                       *  

   3 months had passed since Elle had been shot, or anyone on the team had seen her. She isolated herself in her own home, barely returning any phone calls or emails. It would be a great surprise to anyone if she actually answered the door when they knocked. Eventually, everyone just assumed that she wanted to be alone. No one bothered her anymore.

   It was a shock to Bella when she woke up at 2 in the morning to the sound of her phone ringing. She picked up the phone still half asleep, but jolting right awake once she recognized the familiar voice. Elle. Her voice was shaky, obviously from crying, and she wanted Bella to come over immediately. Being the true friend that she always is, Bella threw on a pair of jeans and raced out the door.

   Elle answered the door with a red face and dark circles underneath her eyes. She looked like she hadn't slept in the past 3 months. Ushering Bella into her home, she plopped onto the couch and covered her face with her hands. 

   "I'm sorry," Elle whispered. "I woke you up out of a sound sleep and for nothing really."

   "Elle," Bella responded. "This isn't nothing, we haven't seen you in months. We've all been worried sick about you and I'm glad that you finally reached out to me."

   Elle closed her eyes and nodded, "I know, it's just that I don't really know how to go back. I barely sleep at night because I'm afraid that someone else will get into my house. I live in constant fear and I'm worried that I'll panic out on the field."

   Sitting up in her seat, Bella listened intently. She understood Elle completely, their job wasn't easy at all. Bella still had nightmares about cases the team worked, or the times she was injured by unsubs or taken hostage. It took a lot of strength to push forward and eventually move on. 

   "It's extremely difficult, I'm not going to lie to you," Bella said. "Eventually you just have to look forward at everything in front of you, and realize that you're stronger than what is holding you back. It takes a lot of courage and acceptance, two things that I know you have. You are a brave woman, Elle. We miss you on the team."

   Elle grinned for the first time in 3 months, "I plan on talking to Gideon soon about coming back, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it there. My job is one of my greatest passions, being in the BAU is an honor. I want to be with you guys again, it's my home."

   Bella grabbed Elle's hand and squeezed it, "Don't let anything hold you back from being the strongest version of yourself that you can be."  Elle squeezed Bella's hand back and wiped away a stray tear. 

   Elle always knew that she could trust Bella with anything.     

________________________________

Song: "Closing Time" by Semisonic 

~Thank you for reading! Sorry for the lame update, I've been busy practicing for my road test which is on Thursday. YIKES. It's on the 10th anniversary of One Direction so I'm hoping that's a sign of good luck. Anyways, stay safe and healthy! Much love!