Chapter 1

You were one of the best artists in London, known for your expressive and beautiful portraits of those who wished for paintings. You kept your gender a secret until your clients came for their first appointment, this was to stop sexism making them not choose you.

One particular morning you were getting ready to meet your new client. He was a judge with no name. You cleaned your brushes, sharpened your pencils and started brewing some tea. When you heard the knock you opened the door to see a tall greying man in the doorway. He had almost shoulder-length grey hair, a strong chin and nose and wore a browny grey suit.

"Good morning Miss" he said. "May I ask is the master of the house home? I am here to see the painter"

"That's me" you said smiling. "Come in, come in" You ushered him and he followed you up the stairs and into the room you painted in. "Please sit" you said, nodding toward the seat. The judge sat and crossed his legs. "May I ask your full name?"

"Judge William Turpin" he said.

You smiled and looked up at him. "So what do you want me to paint?"

"I would like a portrait of my face to around my shoulders. Full colour, large and in oil" he said.

"That's fine." you said. "That will cost 100 pounds for labor and supplies. I will need 20 of them before and the rest can be paid after"

The judge put his hand in his pocket and brung out 20 pounds and handed it too you. 

You ran the judge through the paints and the canvas you were to use and started your initial sketch. He stayed still, his eyes stared into your soul as you sketched onto the canvas. His eyes were unwavering and deep and his lips twitched into a slight smirk. 

You soon finished the sketch and smiled, putting your pencil down. "You may see if you wish sir" you said. "I will work in it and if I need another consultation I will get the local boy to call on you"

"That is fine Ms (y/n)" he said "I will be glad to see you again." he looked at the initial sketch.

He nodded and put his hands behind his back. "I will show you out sir" you said and opened the door to the stairs. Turpin nodded and kissed your hand. "Until next time"

"Indeed" you said and watched him walk towards his carriage. You closed the door and walked up the stairs to see the sketch. You sighed, this would be a challenge, especially the dark deep eyes. You looked in your store cupboard to find the paints and started to experiment with different pigments until you got the colour of his skin. You considered also what shadow would look good on his face if any. You sighed and started applying the first layer of paint.

You had heard of Judge Turpin, the most feared judge in London, but when you met him he seemed reasonable and kind. You hopped he would stay that way.