Chapter 13

Warning: Manipulation and nastiness. Why is my imagination thinking of this...

You woke with Turpin gone. He left a note saying he had work so you got dressed and sat, watching the world go by. What were you supposed to do? You suddenly had an idea. To go back to your old home, get your paintings, money under the floorboards and the list of clients. You wouldn't be more than three hours. Turpin had perswaded you that the robbers wouldn't return.

You slipped a coat and hat on and walked towards the door. It was locked, of course, Turpin was out at work. You had a look around the house but there was no key at all. You went back into the room and searched the draws. Nothing. No key. You decided to do the next best thing, you slipped out of the largest window, but even that was difficult to do. It was like Turpin was trying to keep someone out, or someone in. You walked along the street and along, being careful to make sure none was following you or seemed creepy. None did. You turned the corner and was on your street. You waved to Ms Barker who ran over to you.

"I heard about the break-in," she said.

"It was a devilish time but I am safe" you said

"We were all worried, especially young Micheal, so he followed them he did. They took nothing and went to a ratty man who gave them 20 pounds."

"Do you know who this ratty man was?" you asked, worry filling your mind.

"Well my boy thought it was Mr Beadle but it cannot be. Mr Beadle would no business here."

You sighed softly, your head wearing. "Thank you Ms barker for the information. Say hello to Micheal for me."

"I will do and stay safe. You know what that Mr Turpin is like"

She peaked your interest again. "What do you mean?"

"Well there are rumours you see of Mr Turpin being corrupt and even" she coughed but before she could say what it was you felt a hand on your shoulder. You froze.

"Tell me my dear" Turpin asked. "Why are you out of the house?" Ms Barker immediately went back into her house and Turpin spun you around.

"I wanted to pick some things up from my house, paintings and alike" you stuttered.

"I will get my men to do that" he said. He was creepily calm, stroking your shoulder with his thumb. 

"I was worried they might be mishandled." you stuttered.

"I don't like it when you lie to me" he said. "You told me you would trust me and would not do anything unsafe, lest here you are here"

"I also wanted to get the list of clients and my money under the floorboards." you said. "What business is it yours that you don't wish me to go out."

"You are not safe" he said.

"You made me feel safe" you murmured. 

"Then come along, let us get your things, however, you must be punished for going against my orders little one" Turpin said, his voice was growling slightly

"Punished?" you asked confused.

"Yes" he said. "You thought you could get away with popping back to your old house and getting back without being missed."

He pushed you along the street and up to your old house. You put into a small corner all the paintings you had. You also went to a floorboard and brought it up to take out 600 pounds. He picked it from your hand and put it in his pocket. 

"Could I have it back?" you ask.

"Why the money?" he asked. "I will be put into the bank." 

"I feel safe when I have around 100 around, just in case" you said

"Well if you didn't leave the house you would be safe" he muttered. "You test sometimes, dear, you really do"

"and another thing" you said, turning to him. "Local rumours have it that the robbers were paid by Beadle. Is this true?"

Turpin's brow furrowed. "no" he said. "They are trying to manipulate you"

"Why would they want to do that?" you asked.

"Because they want to take you away from me" he said flatly. He pushed you toward the wall and lifted your chin. "Look at me". You lifted your eyes and he smiled. "I told you there is evil in this world didn't I?" You nodded. "I will keep you safe but you do what I tell you to do, or you will need to be punished. I only do this because I love you. Do you understand little one?"

You nodded and he kissed your cheek. "Good girl. Now come along home" He let go and you smoothed down your dress and you calmed your breathing. He scared you with his anger. He said he only wanted the best for you. You followed him out, taking the most fragile painting with you and placed it in the carriage.  "I am taking you straight home," he said. You nodded and clutched the panting. It was one of the first ones you had ever painted and it was beautiful. "Let me see it. The painting" Turpin mumbled. You handed it over to him and he smiled. "Truly beautiful" he smiled. "How long did it take you?". You thought  "I think 4 months on and off". Turpin smiled and cracked the painting over his knee, the frame snapped and destroyed the painting. 

You put your hand up to your mouth and you started to cry.  "This is your punishment" he said. "If you disobey me you cannot have nice things". You started to cry harder, curling up into the corner of the carriage. You felt Turpin sit next to you and he pulled you onto his lap, you tried to get off him but he held you onto him until you collapsed and just cried into his chest. "There there" he cooed. "It hurt me more than it did you" you tried to pull away from him but he held you hard on his lap. "I don't want to hurt you or your things but you leave me no choice" you cried louder, wanting to get away. 

The carriage stopped and Turpin carried you out, he laid you on the bed and tucked you into it. You cried into the cusion, scared and shivering. "The other paintings are safe" Turpin said. "and I am selling your house" you sighed and nodded, you wanted him to leave you. But instead, he climbed into bed with you, pulling you into his chest. "Now, now. I didn't hit you did I?" he said, "Stop the waterworks and pull yourself together. You are lucky. Other men would have given you a bruise for disobeying them".

The tears slowly stopped, you felt empty as Turpin held you to him. "Do you want a bath?" he asked.  You shook your head and Turpin rolled his eyes. "You will have one anyway". You shook your head but Turpin lifted you up to put you into the bathroom. He shut and locked the door and started running the bath. You stood and stared at the floor. You felt his fingers start to work at your clothes, pulling them off your body. 

He carried you and put you into the bath. You looked up at the ceiling as William crouched at the edge of the bath and started to wash you gently.  "I can do this" you mumbled. Turpin growled and threw the rag at the wall and walked out. He locked the door behind him and put the key in his pocket. You started and shivered in the water. This was not the man you married.