Chapter 3

It was the final appointment you had with Turpin. The painting was almost complete and it looked wonderful. You heard the nock of Turpin. It was three sharp loud nocks. You smiled and went down stairs and opened the door to the judge. He smiled at you and you grinned. "Come in, come in" you said.  "Would you like a drink?"

"No thank you Ms (y/n)" he said.

"That's fine" you said. He sat. He seemed happier today, he smiled more which thought suited him more. His smile lifted his whole face. You had an idea and to the edge of the lip of your painting to make it took like he had just made a quipped remark. 

"You seem more cheerful today sir" you said

"I have just won a case" he said smiling. 

"I am glad" you said. "What was it about?" you asked.

"that my girl is confidential" he said. "However" you raised your eyebrows. "It was about a mugger who had been praying on rich women. He is now being shipped off to Austrialia"

"I am glad" you said. "Less danger on the street"

"You must feel very unsafe" he said. 

"That is why I use the local boy to send my letters and buy my paints" you said. 

"So you never leave your studio?" he asks.

"I try to avoid it" you mumbled.

"You have no carriage?" he asked

"It is a waste of money" you mumbled. "I would have nowhere to go"

"Then why don't I accompany you for a walk in the park?" he asked.

"It would be nice to go out" you said. "and you seem you would ward off unwanted attention" 

"I will have my man Beadle look out just incase" he said. 

"You are ever so kind" you mumbled, putting some more paint onto the portrait

"I wished for a walk" he said. "It is nicer with the company of a woman rather than my weaselly assistant"

You smiled and put the paintbrush between your teeth, sucking on it slightly. You took it out and added some more lines to the painting and smiled. "Perfect" you announced. Turpin stood and looked at the canvas. It was very like him and was very handsome, showing off his greatest features. The eyes where perfect, showing his deep and withering gaze which made so many crack under it.

"When will it be finished?" he asked. 

"When I have finished the necktie," you said "and the oil has dried" Turpin nodded and smiled. "May I get changed into something more appropriate and I will meet you downstairs?"

"Take as much time as you need" Turpin said and went downstairs. You got changed into warmer clothes, doing your hair up and washing any paint off your body. This dress made you look stunning, and was a far cry from your normal dress which was paint covered. You checked the mirror and smiled before leaving your room and heading downstairs. Turpin stood and when he saw you smiled slightly. Inside he was gawping. He had no idea you where this beautiful, with your hair in a different style and your baggy dress replaced with a normal dress which showed your figure off perfectly. You smiled and he left the house. You locked it and placed the key in your pocket. The judge ushered you to his carriage and opened the door for you. You sat down as the carriage started to move along the streets. 

"Which park are we visiting?" you asked, breaking the silence and the judges' eyes which lingered on you.

"St James' park" 

"How wonderful" you said 

"Quite"

You looked out of the window to see people pass. "Thank you sir" you said. "For giving me an opportunity to have walk safety" 

"Call me William please" he said "William Turpin"

"Okay William" you said smiling. "Thank you"

"It is my pleasure" he said caringly.

The carriage stopped and William got out, holding out his hand for you to also leave the carriage. The park was beautiful and William tucked his arm in yours. You walked together, passing merry people and couples as they competed their own walk. 

After a little time of walking William pulled you towards a bench and you both sat, watching the water and the people. 

"Do you do landscapes?" William asked.

"Somtimes" you answered. "But I find I gain more money from portraits. I do have a couple of them going, mostly from the view out of the window"

"How lovely" William said. "May I see them?" he asked.

"When you pick the finished painting up I would be happy for you to see it" you said smiling

"Wonderful" William said and stood up.

You finished going around the park and William took you back to the doorstep of your house. "Until next time" he said and bowed

"Yes" you said. "It had been a pleasure to spend time with you"

"The pleasure is all mine" he said and bowed slightly.

You smiled and went into your house. You stripped off your dress and got back into your lovely baggy dress and finished the painting. You couldn't stop thinking of how much fun the day you spent with William was. He was kind and handsome, with great manners. You wondered if he had a wife. You doubted, he wouldn't have taken you out for a walk or looked at you the way he did. You would never have a chance though, not with the handsome, rich judge. You sighed and finished off the painting.