Chapter 31

Soon the day of escaping arrived. Your stomach had grown quite a lot during the week, but you were determined to go out. As you suspected William told you about leaving that morning. "Now dearest I must go out for today" he murmured as he got dressed, he kissed your head and stroked your cheek. "You be a good girl and rest"

"Of course" you lied, William smiled and kissed your lips delicately.

"I will bring something home for you, something special" he said, putting on his coat and arranging his neck tie.

"And what would that be?" you asked.

"Spoilers spoilers" William mused, going to the doorway. "You will find out when I get home" and with that he closed the door. You heard the main door open and close and lock.

You got up, watching William leave from the window and then got dressed. It had been a while since you had worn your corset and you put it on, marking sure to be careful.

You left the room and slowly walked down the stairs and to the courtyard where you unlocked the door, locked it again and went toward the gate where it was very simple to unlock and lock again. You smiled, breathing in the free air and started heading toward a small floral garden, which was the opposite way to the courthouse.

You enjoyed this time alone, to walk freely without William by you. Freedom. You felt worried if William did return, but you knew he was acting judge to a law case which would be more than an hour long. Anyway, you would be out for less than an hour. All you wanted to do was go for a walk, feel the free air, look at some flowers and maybe take some to press and then go home.

Reaching the garden you sat and breathed, the delicious scent of flowers filling your lungs. You had missed this. Freedom to walk to the park and sit. You thought of William, you wondered if he was thinking about you. You were missing him, and you never thought you would. His loving doting and control seemed to be growing on you. You sighed, snapping one of the flower heads off and placing it in your pocket to press. You took a few more and stood. It was time you should get back to the house. You thought of leaving but then remembered, although you found it hard, his control and demands he still loved you and the child you had. In Victorian England, you wouldn't last a second as a pregnant woman who was homeless and without money. Anyway, William would find you quickly even if you headed to another city in England.

You started to walk back home, going slowly to enjoy as much of the freedom as possible. As you turned the corner into a back road where the courtyard of Wiliam's house was, someone bumped into you and fell back into the chest of another man. You looked up and opened your mouth in fright, to scream, instead, a rag was held to your face and you collapsed into the man you had been bumped into.