Chapter 6

Edward

I open the door to the bedchamber and in the light from the few lit candles in the room, the sleeping figure of Isabella lies on the bed. I walk over to the vanity on the west wall and take my boots, coat, and sheath. "Edward?"

"Did I wake you?"

"No, not really. What took you so long?"

I walk across the room and sit on the bed, "There was news from the Lengvi front. The Aral Navy started a full-scale attack on the Safian Navy this morning."

"And?"

"The Safian king, he was fighting on the front with his men... he was killed this afternoon."

"No."

I take a small flask from my breast pocket, unscrew the top, and lift it to the sky, "Long live Reina Lucia Teresa de Leon. May her reign be long, prosperous, and peaceful."

"We should go visit her."

"I will plan it in the morning."

"Thank you."

"Anything for you dear. There's another parentless monarch in this world, let us only pray it does not result in a misfortunate year."

"Edward, we must not think like that."

"My dear, forgive me."

"There is no need for me to forgive you. You only spoke what you believed was right in the moment. Besides it's quite late, well early, and there's an early morning council meeting tomorrow."

"Very well, good night mere dila."

"Good night Edward."

<><><>

I watch as the sun rises through the thin curtains. Next to me Isabella stirs and sits, shifting the piles of documents I have been signing and the papers from the boxes, "Good morning Edward."

"Good morning Isabella."

"Edward, how long have you been up?"

"A few hours."

"When was the last time you properly slept?"

"I don't know mere dila."

"Edward! You need to sleep. You didn't come to bed until nearly one last night."

"Isabella, mere dila, I cannot sleep. There is far too much to do."

She nods with a whisper falling from her lips, "Then I am sorry mere atma," she takes her handkerchief out from under her pillow and holds it over my nose and mouth for a few minutes before taking it away. Drowsiness filling my mind and darkness clouds over my vision. "I am sorry Edward, more than you will ever know, but you need to sleep."

Isabella Victoria

I fold the handkerchief and place it back under my pillow. I slide off the bed and walk into the dressing room.

<><><>

The doors of the council room are opened as I approach. I walk into the room. The council members turn to face me and stand. I walk to my chair and sit, everyone following in suit.

"Where is the king, Your Majesty?"

"He is asleep. He has not been sleeping lately. Waking him would not be a good thing."

"Majesty, with all due respect, we need the king."

"Lord Sedley, tell me this, what happens to the quality of your work when you have not slept?"