Chapter 16

Edward

A thin page cautiously steps into my study. "Majesty a scout has come with a message for you."

"Send him in."

"He is her Majesty."

"Very well, send her in."

"Of course."

The page bows and leaves the room, whispering to someone on the other side. A few seconds pass before a simply dressed, a young woman enters my study. "Are you the scout I am told of?"

"Aye, Majesty, got a lot to tell ya," her words coated with a thick Aeran brogue.

"Please, go ahead," I gesture for her to speak."

"Well, there's a big battle on the 'saurian-Metrine coast, near Deotein house. The beaches that the lord owns are up in flames. The 'sauri major general, Faustinus Asger is dead; he was killed a few days ago. Deotein is up in flames, every living person from that burning death is on their way to Caralein. A few servants are dead, the lord and 'is son are living, but there are a load of burned folks."

"Is that all?"

"Aye; if ye don't need me at the palace anymore, I'ma go back to my post."

"Of course, you are free to leave."

She bows and leaves the room, a single guard entering the room behind her. "Call together the war council, Robert."

He nods, bows, and leaves the room, closing the door behind him. I rest my elbows on the wood of the desk in front of me, resting my chin on my interlaced fingers.

<><><>

"Isabella, there is news I need to tell you before the war council."

"What happened?"

"A battle has broken out near your uncle's home."

Unmasked worry floods her face and voice, "Is everyone safe?"

"Not everyone. The beaches he owns in the west were set aflame as was Deotein; everyone there who is still living are on their way to take refuge in Caralein and other nearby manors, your uncle and cousin are alive. Many servants were badly burned and those who are alive have been burned during their escape."

"Can we afford to send guards to help them make it safely to my father's home?"

"I'm not sure; I can promise that we will discuss it further during the council meeting. I thought I should at least tell you before the meeting."

"Yes, thank you for telling me. When does the meeting begin?"

"Hopefully everyone will have gathered within the next few minutes."

"We should go there now; I will write to my family after the meeting."

"Very well, let us pray that you can write them some good news."

<><><>

"Thank you for coming on such short notice; as you may have heard a battle has broken out on the Asurian-Metrine coast near Deotein house. The Major General, Faustinus Asher was killed and we require a replacement for him. In addition, Deotein house was lit aflame during the ongoing battle and its residents are in pursuit of Caralein house and other safe manors along the Metrine coast; if possible we wish to send a small force of guards and a physician to heal the injured and safely escort surviving members of the house."

"Surely Lord Gifford has a force of guards already helping him."

"When the war began Lord Phillip Gifford gave up more than half of his guards as well as his entire personal army to protect this country at the risk of his own life, the life of his sole heir, and everyone who lives at his home. It doesn't matter who we send as long as they are loyal and will escort everyone to relative safety."

"I see no need to take soldiers from our fronts to protect some men."

"If you will not protect them because they have helped us, at least protect them because they are valued members of the royal family and Asura."

"Very well, we will send a force of ten men, no more, by the time the day is out."

"That will suffice."

"The next order of business; Asger is dead; we need to find a replacement for him."

"I nominate Captain James Lowth; do I have a second?"

"Aye."

"Aye."

"Aye."

One by one every council member stands and sides with the Duke. "Send a message to Lowth and inform him of his new position. Let us pray that he does well in his duties to Asura and is loyal till the end. Council adjourned."

<><><>

"Majesty the ambassador in Aral has sent a letter."

"What does he speak of?"

"His family, the things he misses in Asura, how he is being treated in Aral, the things he has seen."

"Where is this letter?"

"In the hands of your wife."

"Thank you; you may go."

<><><>

"Lady Rebecca, is my wife here?"

"No; I believe she is in the library, writing to her family; but she did instruct me to give you something if you came."

She takes off of the many necklaces wrapped around her slender neck and presses it to the lock of a small chest. A faint click fills the room, she lifts the lid, pulls out a single letter, and hands it to me, locking the chest once more. "Thank you, Lady Rebecca."

"Anything for my country."

She curtsies as I leave the room.

<><><>

I shut the door to my study and lock the door. I unlock the cipher from the hidden drawer of my desk and put it to the page, writing the message on a new page.

The emperor has begun holding secret meetings with the lords of his lands; I fear the worst will soon come to fruition. Her Highness spends her days angry yet calculated. Aral's armies grow daily as the Kōshaku give their armies to the emperor. I am trying to ease the tensions between our two countries but I fear that all will be lost and peace will not come without the greatest price.

A/N: Thank you so much for reading. I will hopefully be able to post another 1-2 chapters next weekend. All my love, M